Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How is rabies passed from body to body? **update**

Posted by   + Show Post

We have neighbors that have been feeing a squirrel or two.  The squirrel now climbs all over our porch as well.  I do not want our cat (100% indoors) or anyone else in family to get it.  Maybe i am being paranoid but i do not approve of feeding wildlife in apartment complexes.

Update :   Found out today another neighbor has been attacked by a squirrel so that fear i had is not unfounded.  They did call animal control and verified that squirrels do not usually carry rabies.  Bf says the fleas on the animals carry rabies.  I told him no, fleas carry bubonic plague  LOL.   Cat is 100% indoors so no worries about him getting sick unless the animal spits through screen window.

The squirrel tried to come into our apartment today but luckily ran off when my guy chased it away.

by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 10:09 PM
Replies (21-30):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Quoting nikki32230:

Bites, blood, they don't run away when you come outside?

Nope,  it will just freeze in place until it knows where you are going.  The other day it stood on stairs until dd and daddy backed up to the other side of porch, it then left our area.

Aislinn
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Apparently, the whole blood thing is a Wives Tale. You can only contract rabies through saliva.

cueballsmom
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 10:29 PM
Quoting frndlyfn:

only because my dad is an excon (don't ask) I know that bb guns do not fall under the no weapons rule. Only because they are viewed as nonlethal. Scary thing is, they are quite lethal when shot properly.

(Used to have issue with stray dogs that were feral, and my annex outlawed firearm discharge. Shot the buggers with bbs to get them out of my trash, and accidently killed a large bulldog after shooting it.) I felt really bad, but I had small children too. Animal control would not come out to the annex.:(
paknari
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 10:31 PM
Any swapping of body fluids bu usually from a bite. If your cats are indoors they won't get it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aislinn
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Quoting frndlyfn:

Quoting nikki32230:

Nope,  it will just freeze in place until it knows where you are going.  The other day it stood on stairs until dd and daddy backed up to the other side of porch, it then left our area.

It is probably used to humans. My friends call me "Sarah Boone" because I have, several times, fed wild chipmunks, squirrels and raccoons. All were used to humans and not rabid. Steer clear, but unless they are acting aggressive and/or foaming at the mouth, they are probably just begging for food. 

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Quoting cueballsmom:

Quoting frndlyfn:

only because my dad is an excon (don't ask) I know that bb guns do not fall under the no weapons rule. Only because they are viewed as nonlethal. Scary thing is, they are quite lethal when shot properly.

(Used to have issue with stray dogs that were feral, and my annex outlawed firearm discharge. Shot the buggers with bbs to get them out of my trash, and accidently killed a large bulldog after shooting it.) I felt really bad, but I had small children too. Animal control would not come out to the annex.:(

no worries  I will not ask the specifics of your dads history.   I may get a good super soaker that can shoot up to 20 feet  LOL.  Fill it with a dyed water so i can keep track of what squirrels are near here.

Fields456
by Sexy and I know it on Apr. 12, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Quoting Mipsy:

They have to bite them. But just cuz they are wild doesn't mean they're rabid, lol!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lifehappy
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 10:33 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm sorry, but I'm laughing my ass off! Does no one else find this post funny?
Fields456
by Sexy and I know it on Apr. 12, 2012 at 10:34 PM
And if they are outdoor just make sure they have their rabies
Vax up to date

Quoting paknari:

Any swapping of body fluids bu usually from a bite. If your cats are indoors they won't get it

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Quoting Aislinn:

Quoting frndlyfn:

Quoting nikki32230:

It is probably used to humans. My friends call me "Sarah Boone" because I have, several times, fed wild chipmunks, squirrels and raccoons. All were used to humans and not rabid. Steer clear, but unless they are acting aggressive and/or foaming at the mouth, they are probably just begging for food. 

DD is 6 so i have to keep reminding her we do not pet squirrels that do not belong to us (as if we would own one LOL)  She wants to pet anything cute.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)