Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How is rabies passed from body to body? **update**

Posted by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 10:09 PM
  • 57 Replies

We have neighbors that have been feeing a squirrel or two.  The squirrel now climbs all over our porch as well.  I do not want our cat (100% indoors) or anyone else in family to get it.  Maybe i am being paranoid but i do not approve of feeding wildlife in apartment complexes.

Update :   Found out today another neighbor has been attacked by a squirrel so that fear i had is not unfounded.  They did call animal control and verified that squirrels do not usually carry rabies.  Bf says the fleas on the animals carry rabies.  I told him no, fleas carry bubonic plague  LOL.   Cat is 100% indoors so no worries about him getting sick unless the animal spits through screen window.

The squirrel tried to come into our apartment today but luckily ran off when my guy chased it away.

by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 10:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mipsy
by Platinum Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 10:10 PM
3 moms liked this
They have to bite them. But just cuz they are wild doesn't mean they're rabid, lol!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
im_not_trollin
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 10:12 PM

blood to blood.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Quoting Mipsy:

They have to bite them. But just cuz they are wild doesn't mean they're rabid, lol!

Very true.   I just dont want DD to get bit since now this particular squirrel is not afraid of humans anymore.  He comes right up to you.  What if he (or she) gets angry that we do not have nuts at our apartment?  In general, healthy or sick wildlife I dont like seeing fed by humans unless it is at the zoo.

cueballsmom
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 10:14 PM
It has to transfer through body fluid exchange. Most often it will be a bite, but also if you get it's blood under your nails (were you can have unknown microskin tears).

I agree it is very unsafe to feed wild animals near your residence. Also consider that rabies is not the only thing you have to worry about. Get a co2 powered bb gun, that will kill the rodent. Just be sure to do so on the sly if the neighbors think its a pet (ewwww ).
AMCMSM
by Gold Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Saliva

Arwyn724
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Small rodents such as squirrels, hamsters, guinea pigs, gerbils, chipmunks, rats, and mice and lagomorphs like rabbits and hares are almost never found to be infected with rabies and are not known to transmit rabies to humans

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Quoting cueballsmom:

It has to transfer through body fluid exchange. Most often it will be a bite, but also if you get it's blood under your nails (were you can have unknown microskin tears).

I agree it is very unsafe to feed wild animals near your residence. Also consider that rabies is not the only thing you have to worry about. Get a co2 powered bb gun, that will kill the rodent. Just be sure to do so on the sly if the neighbors think its a pet (ewwww ).

Not sure if we can have a bb gun due to my guys past.  I have been using a high powered water bottle to discourage him though. They do not like their tails wet.   I know I have to google all the other things they could carry.  He will go right up to our window and look inside.  Nasty dirty fellow.

smurfbitebug
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 10:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow. Lolol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RLT2
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Salivia, our cat was viciously attacked in broad daylight on sat afternoon. We won't know for a week if the raccoon was rabid-but he was acting insane and was out at 2pm so, probably was. The vet and health dept both told us it was the salivia-I don't know if it's blood too-but definately salivia.

barrelracer1699
by Gold Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Passed on by fluids. Usually through a bite. Could you talk to the manager of the complex to get them to stop feeding it to start?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)