Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

awesome , my job causes birth defects

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 3:30 AM
  • 12 Replies
I work at a pharmaceutical warehouse packing OTC and prescription meds. Apparently , since the company has been open , there have 6 reported cases of down syndrome babies born to women who worked here while pregnant. I just found out that the room I mainly work in cause birth defects to teeth permanently damaging them, and its meds used for teeth ! Anyways im only 4 weeks pregnant but now im thinking of quitting and there's mad pregnant girls here ! Why haven't they quit ?!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 3:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gum.drop
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 3:31 AM
I'd quite or take a leave of absents lol but why work there anyways...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
grey7399
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 3:33 AM

um that sounds like a lawsuit.

rayroe2
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 3:34 AM

wow! I thought they would have made you sign something since that risk is there!

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Apr. 13, 2012 at 3:34 AM

How exactly does it cause the birth defects or other bad things? Do you not wear masks,gloves, and aprons to package them?

mama2ameira
by Miss Christina on Apr. 13, 2012 at 5:56 AM
for certain rooms , yes. Although we wear gloves and hair nets , lab coats and booties for all rooms but the masks is only for some like my room but even then there still a chance of inhaling things

Quoting frndlyfn:

How exactly does it cause the birth defects or other bad things? Do you not wear masks,gloves, and aprons to package them?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama2ameira
by Miss Christina on Apr. 13, 2012 at 5:57 AM
Oh and by breathing in the powders and particles, that's how it causes defects. I guess the same way you're not supposed to use certain cleaning products ?

Quoting frndlyfn:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama2ameira
by Miss Christina on Apr. 13, 2012 at 5:59 AM
nope. I guess there is no proof it causes defects but in each room there's a pregnancy health risk paper that tells you what ingesting/inhaling/etc certain meds can cause to unborn fetus

Quoting rayroe2:

wow! I thought they would have made you sign something since that risk is there!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoveOfSign
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 6:04 AM

Holy crap... I would quit.. or wear a spray paint mask at work...

cueballsmom
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 6:07 AM
Call osha if you feel the ventalation is is not good enough. Or if you feel they are allowing safety precautions to go unimplemented. Osha can come out and test the air for toxins and tell the company what needs to be dine to insure health while working.

Or quit.
AnnieMcD
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 6:08 AM

Isn't there a department you can work in while pregnant that won't require you to handle or breathe in random drugs? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)