Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How can I tell if it is infected?**Warning**gross photo, DON'T open if you have a weak stomach**

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 1:06 AM
  • 119 Replies

I have an ingrown toenail on my big toe (both sides) anyways, it was hurting so I was able to get it out with some tweezers and fingernail clippers.

But now my toe is red, and extremely sore, I don't know if it is infected and I can't go to the doctor until tuesday, because I have no money until then.

I don't want to post a picture and gross everyone out though haha

So how can I tell if it is infected, and if it is what can I do until tuesday to prevent it from getting really bad?

excuse my fat little sausage toes lmfao

by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 1:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lynnd4
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 1:07 AM
Soak your foot in hot soapy water.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fatcat0908
by Platinum Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 1:09 AM
1 mom liked this
Reddness, swelling, warmth, odor, extreme pain, puss and fever can all point towards infection. Try soaking it warm water and seeing if it drains, it may bring you some relief, but you will need an antibiotic of its infected.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Apollos82
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 1:09 AM
1 mom liked this
If its red, it's infected. Soak it in a warm Epsom salt bath two times daily, keep it very clean and dry, and don't pick at it again without sterilizing your tools and sterilizing th area before and after.

Also, to avoid ingrown toe nails, cut the toe nail strait across, not rounded. Allow the "corners" to grow out.

Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Army_Mom_2_Boyz
by Ruby Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 1:10 AM

ouch! haha it burns like crazy when it is touched by even cold water

ahhhhh

Quoting lynnd4:

Soak your foot in hot soapy water.

Army_Mom_2_Boyz
by Ruby Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Ok thanks

Quoting fatcat0908:

Reddness, swelling, warmth, odor, extreme pain, puss and fever can all point towards infection. Try soaking it warm water and seeing if it drains, it may bring you some relief, but you will need an antibiotic of its infected.

Army_Mom_2_Boyz
by Ruby Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 1:12 AM

I don't have epsom salt, will warm water do?

I have had ingrown toenails on both of my big toes since I can remember, and both of my boys have them too :(

I would post the picture, so you could see for yourself and give your opinion on if you think it is infected, but it looks sooooo fugly haha

Quoting Apollos82:

If its red, it's infected. Soak it in a warm Epsom salt bath two times daily, keep it very clean and dry, and don't pick at it again without sterilizing your tools and sterilizing th area before and after.

Also, to avoid ingrown toe nails, cut the toe nail strait across, not rounded. Allow the "corners" to grow out.

Good luck!

Mipsy
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 1:13 AM
Ask it ;) haha, sorry, I couldn't resist.

I had the same issue but I cleaned it with alcohol and put Neosporin and a bandaid on it and by morning it was better. I would give it a day or 2 before seeing the dr. But thats just me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
strictmomhere
by Platinum Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 1:16 AM
Clean it with peroxide
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Apollos82
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 1:16 AM
No pictures! Please! My morning sickness is at an all-time high! lol

Sea salt or even regular table salt will do for now. It needs to be pretty salty...about double how your years taste, and pretty hot, though not scalding.

Even if it's not infected, the salt bath will ward off anything that might be trying to sneak in and infect it. It will not hurt it.

Get some Epsom salt tomorrow, if you can.

Quoting Army_Mom_2_Boyz:

I don't have epsom salt, will warm water do?

I have had ingrown toenails on both of my big toes since I can remember, and both of my boys have them too :(

I would post the picture, so you could see for yourself and give your opinion on if you think it is infected, but it looks sooooo fugly haha

Quoting Apollos82:

Good luck!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Army_Mom_2_Boyz
by Ruby Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 1:16 AM

lmfao my kids will really think I am nuts if I start talking to my wounded toe

I don't have alcohol, trying to find my peroxide, put some ointment on it, but it didn't seem to help.

Quoting Mipsy:

Ask it ;) haha, sorry, I couldn't resist.

I had the same issue but I cleaned it with alcohol and put Neosporin and a bandaid on it and by morning it was better. I would give it a day or 2 before seeing the dr. But thats just me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN