Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How can I tell if it is infected?**Warning**gross photo, DON'T open if you have a weak stomach**

I have an ingrown toenail on my big toe (both sides) anyways, it was hurting so I was able to get it out with some tweezers and fingernail clippers.

But now my toe is red, and extremely sore, I don't know if it is infected and I can't go to the doctor until tuesday, because I have no money until then.

I don't want to post a picture and gross everyone out though haha

So how can I tell if it is infected, and if it is what can I do until tuesday to prevent it from getting really bad?

excuse my fat little sausage toes lmfao

by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 1:06 AM
Replies (11-20):
caseyskitten
by Bronze Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 1:17 AM
You could put some peroxide on it and maybe if its infected it will boil it out?? Then maybe some neosoprin (sp?) Hope it feels better soon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lynnd4
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 1:17 AM
I feel for you.

Quoting Army_Mom_2_Boyz:

ouch! haha it burns like crazy when it is touched by even cold water

ahhhhh

Quoting lynnd4:

Soak your foot in hot soapy water.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annas_momma
by 1 Crazy Momma ♥ on Apr. 14, 2012 at 1:18 AM
This is the best advice!

Also if you continuously get ingrown toe nails on that toe, you might have what is called "pincher toe". It sucks really really bad. My mom had a toe nail removed because of it, will most likely have 2 more removed this year, and by the time I am her age (if not younger) I will have at least one removed.

Quoting Apollos82:

If its red, it's infected. Soak it in a warm Epsom salt bath two times daily, keep it very clean and dry, and don't pick at it again without sterilizing your tools and sterilizing th area before and after.

Also, to avoid ingrown toe nails, cut the toe nail strait across, not rounded. Allow the "corners" to grow out.

Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amandabo
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 1:18 AM
Cut it off. ;) lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Army_Mom_2_Boyz
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 1:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Ok no pictures! LOL

thanks for the info :)

Quoting Apollos82:

No pictures! Please! My morning sickness is at an all-time high! lol

Sea salt or even regular table salt will do for now. It needs to be pretty salty...about double how your years taste, and pretty hot, though not scalding.

Even if it's not infected, the salt bath will ward off anything that might be trying to sneak in and infect it. It will not hurt it.

Get some Epsom salt tomorrow, if you can.

Quoting Army_Mom_2_Boyz:

I don't have epsom salt, will warm water do?

I have had ingrown toenails on both of my big toes since I can remember, and both of my boys have them too :(

I would post the picture, so you could see for yourself and give your opinion on if you think it is infected, but it looks sooooo fugly haha

Quoting Apollos82:

If its red, it's infected. Soak it in a warm Epsom salt bath two times daily, keep it very clean and dry, and don't pick at it again without sterilizing your tools and sterilizing th area before and after.

Also, to avoid ingrown toe nails, cut the toe nail strait across, not rounded. Allow the "corners" to grow out.

Good luck!

Army_Mom_2_Boyz
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 1:19 AM

I am looking for my peroxide, it has disappeared lol

Quoting strictmomhere:

Clean it with peroxide

rgba
by Gold Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 1:19 AM
Epsom salt
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mdwinter
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 1:19 AM

If you get them all the time, there is a procedure they can do to make sure you never get one again.  All they do is cut your toenail down the side, and burn the end, so it doesn't grow.  I had it done and all four sides of my bigtoes, and it is awesome!

Army_Mom_2_Boyz
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Quoting caseyskitten:

You could put some peroxide on it and maybe if its infected it will boil it out?? Then maybe some neosoprin (sp?) Hope it feels better soon.

Army_Mom_2_Boyz
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Ouch! I never heard of that

Quoting annas_momma:

This is the best advice!

Also if you continuously get ingrown toe nails on that toe, you might have what is called "pincher toe". It sucks really really bad. My mom had a toe nail removed because of it, will most likely have 2 more removed this year, and by the time I am her age (if not younger) I will have at least one removed.

Quoting Apollos82:

Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)