Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How can I tell if it is infected?**Warning**gross photo, DON'T open if you have a weak stomach**

I have an ingrown toenail on my big toe (both sides) anyways, it was hurting so I was able to get it out with some tweezers and fingernail clippers.

But now my toe is red, and extremely sore, I don't know if it is infected and I can't go to the doctor until tuesday, because I have no money until then.

I don't want to post a picture and gross everyone out though haha

So how can I tell if it is infected, and if it is what can I do until tuesday to prevent it from getting really bad?

excuse my fat little sausage toes lmfao

by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 1:06 AM
Replies (111-119):
Apollos82
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 12:54 PM
Yup. Infected! lol Sorry.

Do the salt bath. Promise. It will help! Epsom salt--and salt in general--draws things out. You want the inf room drawn out before it gets worse or turns into a blood infection! :(

Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetnsassymami
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 12:58 PM
I don't know how anyone can stomach that smell. Lol its horrid

Quoting fatcat0908:

I worked at a wound care center. Oh god, I can still smell it when I think about it...gag

Quoting Robe739IsBack:

I absolutely have! ;)

Worked in the dental field for 10 years. There's nothing quite like the smell of an abcess in the mouth that needs to be drained. I'm totally morbid like that, though. LOL!

Quoting fatcat0908:

Have you ever smelled some of the stuff you are interested in seeing? Interest wanes quickly when you know the odors that are associated with some of those images.

Quoting Robe739IsBack:

Am I the only sick & twisted one that hoped for a pic? :-/

Yep. Thought so. *hangs head in shame*

Sorry, it's my overwhelming interest in the medical & dental field that makes me this way. -_-

Anyways, seems you've gotten good advice here. Good night. :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fatcat0908
by Platinum Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 1:00 PM
I quit on a medicinal maggot therapy case. That was my breaking point!

Quoting sweetnsassymami:

Quoting fatcat0908:

I worked at a wound care center. Oh god, I can still smell it when I think about it...gag

Quoting Robe739IsBack:

I absolutely have! ;)

Worked in the dental field for 10 years. There's nothing quite like the smell of an abcess in the mouth that needs to be drained. I'm totally morbid like that, though. LOL!

Quoting fatcat0908:

Have you ever smelled some of the stuff you are interested in seeing? Interest wanes quickly when you know the odors that are associated with some of those images.

Quoting Robe739IsBack:

Sorry, it's my overwhelming interest in the medical & dental field that makes me this way. -_-

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dbush0584
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 1:00 PM
Looks infected. Epsom salt in hot water soak.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetnsassymami
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 1:46 PM
Rofl!!!! Can't say I blame you lol!

Quoting fatcat0908:

I quit on a medicinal maggot therapy case. That was my breaking point!

Quoting sweetnsassymami:

Quoting fatcat0908:

Quoting Robe739IsBack:

I absolutely have! ;)

Quoting fatcat0908:

Quoting Robe739IsBack:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
toopicky429
by Platinum Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 1:49 PM
You may not have gotten it all out. My husband had one that he thought he got out, but it continued to be infected. Our doctor had to take the whole nail, and it turned out to be ingrown on the entire one side. My husband would have never been able to get it out in his own. I hope your toe feels better soon!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aichia
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 1:51 PM
Mine looked like that when it got infected. Amoxocillin, epsom salt soaks, & the Dr cutting out the part that was constantly growing inward did the trick.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jamddp6
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 1:57 PM

its definitely infected - hence the red area of skin surrounding the outside of the toe area. Unless you're running a fever from this, I doubt a doctor is going to do for you anymore than you can do for yourself though, so save your money. I'm sure its painful but you really need to soak it in warm water. It'll soften the "pus" and often brings it to a "head" which you will be able to gently pull the skin back and release. In between soakings, I would definitely apply a triple antibiotic cream if you have, if not, simply keep it dry and covered to keep further debris from getting into it. Then uncover it in the evening or when you're able to be out of shoes. Good luck!! fingers crossed

UsArmyWife2001
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 3:23 PM
Yup it looks infected to me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN