Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How can I tell if it is infected?**Warning**gross photo, DON'T open if you have a weak stomach**

I have an ingrown toenail on my big toe (both sides) anyways, it was hurting so I was able to get it out with some tweezers and fingernail clippers.

But now my toe is red, and extremely sore, I don't know if it is infected and I can't go to the doctor until tuesday, because I have no money until then.

I don't want to post a picture and gross everyone out though haha

So how can I tell if it is infected, and if it is what can I do until tuesday to prevent it from getting really bad?

excuse my fat little sausage toes lmfao

by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 1:06 AM
Replies (21-30):
Army_Mom_2_Boyz
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 1:21 AM

lol I thought about it! haha

Quoting amandabo:

Cut it off. ;) lol

taniamorse85
by Silver Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 1:21 AM

I had an infected ingrown toenail (big toe as well), and I had to have a minor procedure to correct it.  With the redness and pain, it probably is infected.  Take some ibuprofen for the swelling and to keep any fever caused by the infection down.  Also, soak the foot in lukewarm water.

Army_Mom_2_Boyz
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 1:22 AM

ouch! that sounds painful lol

Quoting mdwinter:

If you get them all the time, there is a procedure they can do to make sure you never get one again.  All they do is cut your toenail down the side, and burn the end, so it doesn't grow.  I had it done and all four sides of my bigtoes, and it is awesome!

Army_Mom_2_Boyz
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 1:23 AM

off topic, is your name Tania, that is my name and that is how I spell it too haha

Quoting taniamorse85:

I had an infected ingrown toenail (big toe as well), and I had to have a minor procedure to correct it.  With the redness and pain, it probably is infected.  Take some ibuprofen for the swelling and to keep any fever caused by the infection down.  Also, soak the foot in lukewarm water.

UsArmyWife2001
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 1:23 AM

You can soak it in warm water with some epsom salt.

annas_momma
by 1 Crazy Momma ♥ on Apr. 14, 2012 at 1:24 AM
Oh and don't google images of pincher toe. They are the worst cases, not normal cases. Plus those feet on google just look nasty.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Robe739IsBack
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 1:24 AM
Am I the only sick & twisted one that hoped for a pic? :-/

Yep. Thought so. *hangs head in shame*

Sorry, it's my overwhelming interest in the medical & dental field that makes me this way. -_-

Anyways, seems you've gotten good advice here. Good night. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Army_Mom_2_Boyz
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 1:28 AM

lol

Quoting annas_momma:

Oh and don't google images of pincher toe. They are the worst cases, not normal cases. Plus those feet on google just look nasty.

Holztastic
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Exactly this!

Quoting fatcat0908:

Reddness, swelling, warmth, odor, extreme pain, puss and fever can all point towards infection. Try soaking it warm water and seeing if it drains, it may bring you some relief, but you will need an antibiotic of its infected.

fatcat0908
by Platinum Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 1:32 AM
Have you ever smelled some of the stuff you are interested in seeing? Interest wanes quickly when you know the odors that are associated with some of those images.

Quoting Robe739IsBack:

Am I the only sick & twisted one that hoped for a pic? :-/

Yep. Thought so. *hangs head in shame*

Sorry, it's my overwhelming interest in the medical & dental field that makes me this way. -_-

Anyways, seems you've gotten good advice here. Good night. :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)