Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How can I tell if it is infected?**Warning**gross photo, DON'T open if you have a weak stomach**

I have an ingrown toenail on my big toe (both sides) anyways, it was hurting so I was able to get it out with some tweezers and fingernail clippers.

But now my toe is red, and extremely sore, I don't know if it is infected and I can't go to the doctor until tuesday, because I have no money until then.

I don't want to post a picture and gross everyone out though haha

So how can I tell if it is infected, and if it is what can I do until tuesday to prevent it from getting really bad?

excuse my fat little sausage toes lmfao

by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 1:06 AM
Replies (91-100):
andiecheyenne
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 3:08 AM
I had an ingrown toenail.. thar crap hurts!! But mine got infected and I had a good sized pus pocket that UT honestly took a few days to get rid of. I would get pus out to the point I'd bleed a little, put Neosporin and a bandage on it and kept on till it went away. I cleaned it out every time.

But I agree.. soak in warm water. I take baths with DD (8mo) so I just let my foot stay in the water the most
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
srbeusk
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 3:09 AM
1 mom liked this
Ew, lol
But I'd say it doesn't look infected, just irritated...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheNina78
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 3:30 AM

Your foot looks painful..hey why do you cut the nail so short? Think maybe thats why they are ingrown? I know if i cut mine too short they end up hurting (same spot) until they grow back. I would soak it too. good luck with that hope all the info helps. lol sausage toes...thats funny!

LaughCryLive
by Bronze Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 3:33 AM
1 mom liked this
Looks irritated to me. Keep an eye on it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Army_Mom_2_Boyz
by ♥Tinkerbell♥ on Apr. 14, 2012 at 3:41 AM

This is the first time I have ever cut it this short. I was trying to get all the nail out of the sides of my toe because it was hurting so bad it was hard to walk on it :(

Quoting TheNina78:

Your foot looks painful..hey why do you cut the nail so short? Think maybe thats why they are ingrown? I know if i cut mine too short they end up hurting (same spot) until they grow back. I would soak it too. good luck with that hope all the info helps. lol sausage toes...thats funny!

sadeyez11
by Platinum Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 4:10 AM
I had such an aweful ingrown toenail it was literally poking out the front of my toe. after i soaked it in warm salt water i pulled everything out. put a peice of rolled up cotton covered in peroxide tucked in between toe and nail and cuvered with a bandaid. Did it for two nights straight. it hasnt come back
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sadeyez11
by Platinum Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 4:11 AM
Forgot to add it hurt so much even the blanket touching it made me almost cry
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Army_Mom_2_Boyz
by ♥Tinkerbell♥ on Apr. 14, 2012 at 4:15 AM
Ouch!!!

Quoting sadeyez11:

I had such an aweful ingrown toenail it was literally poking out the front of my toe. after i soaked it in warm salt water i pulled everything out. put a peice of rolled up cotton covered in peroxide tucked in between toe and nail and cuvered with a bandaid. Did it for two nights straight. it hasnt come back
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
august_baby_09
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 4:31 AM
Ya my entire nail was permanently removed and it still grows back in a couple spots. I've had it done like 4 times now.

Quoting yo_ho:

Mine did too, but they didn't get infected. I had to soak as well, and had the ingrown parts removed, but the damn things grew back! Apparently killing the root at those spots didn't work, but I stopped cutting it down short. I had three ingrown ones, two at once.

Quoting august_baby_09:

Mine use to look like that I had to have my nails removed. Soak it in Epsom salt and get to a doc they can remove part of ur nail so it starts healing. They told me my infection got so bad that it almost went into my blood. Nothing to mess around with.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
august_baby_09
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 4:33 AM
Yup same here no matter what I did so they finally permanently removed my nails.

Quoting Army_Mom_2_Boyz:

oh crap! sometimes I wish they could just cut my toe off and eliminate the problem, because it seems like every other month I am having a problem with this same dam toe :(

Quoting august_baby_09:

Mine use to look like that I had to have my nails removed. Soak it in Epsom salt and get to a doc they can remove part of ur nail so it starts healing. They told me my infection got so bad that it almost went into my blood. Nothing to mess around with.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)