Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do You Consider a 5yr old a "baby"?

Posted by   + Show Post

my friend is constantly referring to her her 5yr old as "the baby"....when she talks, its, "oH, the baby and i are going to the park", or "i have to take the baby to school"...this child also still had a bottle at 4yrs old as well, didn't talk much cuz her mother talked for her too.......and no, nothing is developmentally wrong with the child, other than being babied way too long...

by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 7:51 AM
Replies (111-119):
jj_bmom
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Quoting lazyd:

After the age of one, you are not a "baby" anymore.  We call them toddlers after that for a reason! cuz they're learning to walk.  Bottles & pacifiers should be gone by age of one too.  Your kids can always be your "babies", but don't treat them like that than they won't learn to grow up & navigate the world and they'll act like babies.   

Agreed. To treat a 5 year old as if they're a baby is, in my opinion, hurting the child. My 8 year old little brother is babyd and it shows. 

Erna2
by Platinum Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Hell, I still think of my youngest who is 6 my baby.....LOL!

LectioDivina
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 12:48 PM
Yes...
Only because I hear the mom in poltergiest scream-
"She's just a baby!!!!"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AmandaMaeBell
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Nope.  My dd is 4 and I don't consider her a baby.  

Sweets27
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 12:51 PM
1 mom liked this
My kids are and will always be my babies. I do not baby them though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
scperdomo
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 12:51 PM
No way. DS will be 3 in july and DH still refers to him as "the baby". I'm like, dude, he's not a baby anymore! LoL, he says I know, but he's my little monkey, I can't help it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ollie123
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 12:53 PM
I think it's weird.
jmsbowtie
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 12:56 PM
I call both my kids the babies and they are way older than 4-5, but I also know they aren't babies anymore they are just my babies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mgm_5
by Mari on Apr. 14, 2012 at 12:57 PM
At 2 yrs old they are not babies to me anymore... I did call my daughter baby til she was 4 til our last was born but not becuz I thought she was a baby but becuz she was "my baby"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)