Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do You Consider a 5yr old a "baby"?

Posted by   + Show Post

my friend is constantly referring to her her 5yr old as "the baby"....when she talks, its, "oH, the baby and i are going to the park", or "i have to take the baby to school"...this child also still had a bottle at 4yrs old as well, didn't talk much cuz her mother talked for her too.......and no, nothing is developmentally wrong with the child, other than being babied way too long...

by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 7:51 AM
Replies (81-90):
kansasmom1978
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 10:48 AM

My kids are all my babies. But I don't refer to them as the baby.  I refer to them as my daughter or son. Or by their name.  A bottle at 4 years old is stupid

Mommyto2LilMen
by Bronze Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 10:50 AM
My boys will always be my babies, but I don't call them baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
indy.mama
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 10:51 AM

I mean...when  I refer to the children in my family (not just my own ACTUAL baby) I call them the babies, and two of them are sixteen. I'll say like "I miss my babies" or "I wish we could have all the babies together"...but not like that, no.

BrittBurke
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 10:51 AM

DD is 4 and I say the same things like "I went to the store with the baby" or whatever. But she talks really well and doesnt use a bottle. I don't baby her. She's very independent. I think maybe theres something wrong in babying her child but not calling her one, because they are our babies forever after all

ReidsNana
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 10:59 AM
My 'baby' is 21. He by no means is a baby. When his gf of 2-1/2 years recently broke up with him and he was in tears over it, I hugged him and said, "Oh, my poor baby." I am an only child, so I have no clue what the 'rules' are regarding this kind of stuff, but he will ALWAYS be my baby no matter how old he gets.

As far as the child and mother you are speaking of, OP.....the mother may have a hard time accepting that her 'baby' is growing up. It may reach a point where it will create issues for the child. She could very well become one of the 'helicopter moms' which then makes the child too dependent on the mother.
There just comes a time when parents need to let go so the child can go through life in natural progression. That's the only way children can truly experience life as it should be, self sufficient, responsible and free from overbearing parents.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy.Erica
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 11:01 AM

I call my 5yr old cousin a baby still.. He is babied though.

Bianca008
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 11:01 AM

My sons are 21 and 17. I call them my baby boy all the time in an endearing way.

jennbitt
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 11:02 AM
Wow nope. That momma needs to realize the child shouldn't have a bottle at that age. Omg. Poor baby!! LoL
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jennbitt
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 11:04 AM
As I am 27 my momma always refers to me and my older brother as her babies. She says we will always be her babies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mi4339mi
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 11:04 AM

My 6 yr old may not be "a baby" but he is still "my baby".

I refer to him as "my baby" all the time.

For example

"I have to go get my baby from school"

"I need to go buy my baby some new shoes"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)