Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do You Consider a 5yr old a "baby"?

Posted by   + Show Post

my friend is constantly referring to her her 5yr old as "the baby"....when she talks, its, "oH, the baby and i are going to the park", or "i have to take the baby to school"...this child also still had a bottle at 4yrs old as well, didn't talk much cuz her mother talked for her too.......and no, nothing is developmentally wrong with the child, other than being babied way too long...

by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 7:51 AM
Replies (91-100):
-KC-
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 11:06 AM
Um not even close.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Caitlin10081989
by Ruby Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 11:24 AM

No, in medical terms a five year old is not a baby. 

Cubanmom84
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 11:29 AM
My son is 5....Autistic...and I don't baby him. His not a baby and he understands ...so no a 5 year old is not a baby.
mommybug77
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 11:31 AM
My 13 year old is still my baby, along with her sisters who are 11, 5 and 13 months
Pink_Sunshine
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 11:33 AM

He's my baby.

mommyoftwo103
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 11:36 AM

My 5 yr old is my baby.. I call her my first born baby but only inside my head. lol 

mollysmom328
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 12:27 PM

There is a big difference between calling your child "baby" as a term of affection and treating your child like a baby.  A 5 yo should NOT be treated like a baby.

LuvingMy3Girls
by Silver Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 12:30 PM
I do think it does something to kids when you call them babies. I swear when I started calling my 2 year old big girl within a week she was fully potty trained. Who knows if it's related or not

Quoting IncognitoOne:

LOL, mine will fuss at me. I'll say "I love my babies" and they'll say "We are not babies MOM!"

That's when I break it to them that they will ALWAYS be my babies, even when they're 50. But I don't refer to them as babies in any other way..lol.

Quoting LuvingMy3Girls:

No... There comes a point you have to stop calling them babies so they can grow up. I tell my 2.5 dd she is big all the time. All my kids are my babies but I don't seriously call them that in conversation ( ok maybe still the 2 year old but I should get a pass she is still 2)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EDDES
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 12:31 PM

That is just silly ignorance.shrugging

avajeansmomma
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 12:31 PM

O.o

I haven't said "the baby" since my daughter was 1. Weird.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN