Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

BIRTHDAY PARTY, AM I MEAN?

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 11:37 AM
  • 12 Replies

My dd is in K and she gets invited to birthday parties. she got an invite for one for next week and got the invite last friday. well my dh just checked her binder and theres an invite in there for a party for today. It was put in there yesterday. we would love to go had we had enough notice but im working dh has an appt when i get off work and my mom cant take her either. plus we obviously had no time to buy a gift. When i got home i didnt check her binder, we went straight to the school fair.

so of course shes upset cause i said no and its not like her to be this upset and shes crying. i told her i didnt know in enough time to be able to go the party but im a little peeved we only had a days notice in the first place. I would love for her to be able to go to all the kids parties but its just not possible especially with a days notice plus i cant afford it. :(

what would you have done?

by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 11:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alwayskk
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 11:38 AM

I would have done the same thing. Plus, the host needs to know in advance how many people will be there. 

aprilsalcro
by Platinum Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 11:39 AM
If I had nothing to do then I'd go. If I was busy nope
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JulyBabies
by Platinum Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 11:44 AM

If you are busy, you are busy. Plus, I would just explain to my daughter that we need more than a few days notice and also prepare her for the fact that she may not be able to attend every party that she is invited to.

Caitlin10081989
by Ruby Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 11:47 AM

In your situation, I would have told her no, we can not go. I would have wrote a note back to the mom. Thank you for inviting my child to your childs birthday party but we were unable to attend due to the fact that I recieved the invite to the party today and already had plans. 

doulala
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 11:48 AM

I tend to not tell the kids about some things like that--    if they aren't going to be able to go.

And if I do have to tell, less info the better, no need to explain it in adult terms, like why.     Just say we are doing something, I am really sorry, you must be disappointed.   I understand, I would be too.    Let's plan a special playdate with that friend and take her/him to the park for a picnic next week ----or whatever.

teri4lance
by Platinum Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 11:49 AM
You have plans and no notice. She can be upset. It won't kill her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GagaNTattooS
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 11:50 AM
Me..I would of called my boss went in late and we would of picked up a gift card at walgreens and a card. But that's me
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
joshlor2
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 11:53 AM
I would have trashed the invite and not told my kid.
I mean honestly I send out invited 2-3 weeks in advance, anything less than a week and a half notice is an automatic NO. I have a life and plans (big planner here) and honestly I am not going to rearrange my entire family for a 5year olds "social life".
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ccnstanczak
by Save Humanity! on Apr. 14, 2012 at 12:12 PM

ooh i just got an idea. i will be a mommy helper in her class on monday. ill pick up a toysrus gift card and a birthday card and write a note and put it in his binder. would that be ok? lol.

JackelineEllis
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 12:14 PM
lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN