Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Moving Again - The 20th Time In 14 Years --Update--

Posted by   + Show Post
Thankfully, we are moving for the last time!

We are closing on some land and a little trailer next week. It's not much, but we will own it outright! We will save what would be rent payments to put toward building a house in a few years!

My kids are excited that soon they'll have a house, yard, chickens, and rabbits (the last 2 for food). We also know a church member who sells raw milk ($2 a gallon too).

UPDATE - We close on Friday morning!!!

--New Update--

Kind of. LOL

The owner lives in UT. We are buying in MO. They FedExd the paperwork for the owners to sign, including an overnight FedEx envelope. They told them to mail it yesterday, so it would be here today. They mailed it today. 😖

We did our part of the paperwork and gave our cashiers check for the property. They should have the paperwork Monday. The title co will hold onto the check until all paperwork is done. We should have it Monday.

We bought mainly for the lot. The trailer (which isn't real pretty and needs a lot of work) will be temporary until we build our place in a few years.

Pict on page 27

**Update**
We closed on Monday the 23rd. It's ours. :D
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 9:14 PM
Replies (101-110):
roxy1stmommy
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 12:48 AM
4 moms liked this

You know that modern agriculture has done more to damage this planet and our wild life then proper animal husbandry right? Animal products have always been a part of all tradition cultures (including; eggs, dairy, meat, blood, blubber, & even Hindus that traditionally practice vegetarianism used to get some sort of "animal" protein from bugs that would get into their rice).

Quoting Caitlin10081989:

That is horrible that the chickens and rabbits are going to be used for food. 

To the OP:

I think this is so great that you were able to realize your dream and that you are able to teach your children the most basic of human skills, how to feed themselves. It's a very nobel skill to have. As opposed to video games and shopping. Here is a podcast that I think you would really be into, he talks about homesteading/ gardening, prepping, home defense, and self sufficiency/reliance: http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/

Keep up the good work!

Nee86
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:08 AM
Congratulations OP! That is so awesome. We were planning on raising meat chickens this year but they would have to be dressed out about the time my second is due so we are holding off another year.

To the person who has a problem with OP teaching her kids 1.) A life lesson and 2.) Raising your own food, I wanna know if you are the person who threatened to call the cops on me yesterday for shooting one if my laying hens that had prolapsed? If you don't know what that meas, whi h I'm pretty sure you don't since you sound like a city girl, please allow me to explain. Instead of laying an egg, like she normally would have done and like the rest of the flock did, the part where thw egg is produced inside her came out of her body instead.
Mommyof2114
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:17 AM
Quoting kcangel63:

Omg! That's Crazy I couldn't ever do that.
JadedFaerie
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Good on you. Taking them back to basics!

la_bella_vita
by Platinum Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Good luck!

mamabear306
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:24 AM
1 mom liked this

wow good for you! your living my dream lol, when me and DF make a good living we pla to move out into the country grow our own veggies and raise and slaughter our own meat and hunt as well, when i was a  little girl my grandmother taught me how to hunt and gather wild berries and chop wood before winter because she had a wood stove, she taught me so much and showed me which herbs to pick for medicine and to skin a deer and gut a rabbit and gophers and ducks and chickens and i would help her inher garden as well, awww i miss those days, im living in the city now with my little family but my grandmother is still swell at almost 90 yrs old, shes a very traditional cree saulteaux native and i love her for teaching me so much of the old ways

ak.girl
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:27 AM
1 mom liked this

Where did you get that idea? The vast majority of meat that Americans eat is from domesticated animals.  They only exist because they are bred for meat (and other products).

Quoting britniwheeler:

If we all did that animals would overpopulate. We were meant to consume their meat. 

Quoting jnttd:

Or you could cut meat out of your diet, which would reduce your environmental impact and be much more animal AND health friendly.

But if humans are going to selfishly slaughter animals for their meat, this is the way to do it. Raise them kindly and keep it natural.

Quoting kcangel63:

It's healthier than the meat pumped full of hormones in the store. They'll have a much happier life than those animals too.

Quoting Caitlin10081989:

ToniTennille
by Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Good for you! I hope to do the same someday. I'd like to get some land in PA near my parents. We have chickens as well. Some are pets and some are food. good

JasonsMom2007
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:49 AM

As a vegetarian who grew up in the country growing cows, pigs, and rabbits for food good for you!

We have chickens we use for eggs now and sheep we use as weedeaters lol.

lalaboosh
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 2:17 AM
1 mom liked this

You seem like a pretty cool lady, I gotta say. I want to buy land somewhere not too far away from the town I love and build an earthship on it. It's a rad house that uses the sun to heat it, uses a grey water system to water indoor planters where you can grow food (OMG bananas grow in CANADA!!), and collects rainwater for the household water supply. If you google it it's easy to find. I'm too excited about it! I think it's so important for us to understand where our food comes from and stop giving away so much control. I thought you might like that information BEFORE you build your house, in case you're into the idea. Oh, and if you attach solar panels to it you can be totally off the grid as far as utilities go. OMG check it out.

Quoting kcangel63:

Actually, I never said they were being taught how to butcher them in the OP. You assumed this. My children are homeschooled, so they would have an active part in raising the animals. That would be part of their schooling. If they wanted to know more during the butchering process, they are free to help with that. Just like they are free to help cook the meat from the animal.

Quoting Caitlin10081989:

Why would she advertise that she is teaching her children how to kill and butcher animals? 

Quoting Pink.Frosting:

Why? 

Quoting Caitlin10081989:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN