Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Moving Again - The 20th Time In 14 Years --Update--

Posted by   + Show Post
Thankfully, we are moving for the last time!

We are closing on some land and a little trailer next week. It's not much, but we will own it outright! We will save what would be rent payments to put toward building a house in a few years!

My kids are excited that soon they'll have a house, yard, chickens, and rabbits (the last 2 for food). We also know a church member who sells raw milk ($2 a gallon too).

UPDATE - We close on Friday morning!!!

--New Update--

Kind of. LOL

The owner lives in UT. We are buying in MO. They FedExd the paperwork for the owners to sign, including an overnight FedEx envelope. They told them to mail it yesterday, so it would be here today. They mailed it today. 😖

We did our part of the paperwork and gave our cashiers check for the property. They should have the paperwork Monday. The title co will hold onto the check until all paperwork is done. We should have it Monday.

We bought mainly for the lot. The trailer (which isn't real pretty and needs a lot of work) will be temporary until we build our place in a few years.

Pict on page 27

**Update**
We closed on Monday the 23rd. It's ours. :D
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 9:14 PM
Replies (301-307):
Mommy2justone
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 4:16 PM
1 mom liked this

You go momma! I would rather my daughter eat meat that I know where it was, what it ate, and how it was killed. My daughter knows what she is eating every meal, and if she asks I tell her. We don't keep her in the dark. 
If I had to feed my family, we would eat our guinea pigs if we were starving.  

kcangel63
by Ruby Member on Apr. 21, 2012 at 7:12 PM

No.  Those are bushes.  We only have 1/5 of an acre right now.  We know the people who own the lot next to us (who are wanting to sell), and the ones on the other side are empty.  We hope to find who owns them and see if they are wanting to sell.  We would really like an acre.  Not much more any time soon.  I would absolutely LOVE an acre or two later with a pond.  I comment on every pond we pass.  I'm sure hubby thinks I'm obsessed.  LOL

Quoting cjsix:

Is that a pond or part of a lake in the background? Is it all yours?How many acres?

Quoting kcangel63:

Here's a pict of part of the place, and some of the family.

kcangel63
by Ruby Member on Apr. 21, 2012 at 7:15 PM

My FIL went on a mission to Peru when he was 18.  They eat guinea pig.  I guess it's pretty good.  :)

Quoting Mommy2justone:

You go momma! I would rather my daughter eat meat that I know where it was, what it ate, and how it was killed. My daughter knows what she is eating every meal, and if she asks I tell her. We don't keep her in the dark. 
If I had to feed my family, we would eat our guinea pigs if we were starving.  

kcangel63
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:09 PM
I think that is correct. However, since the time of Noah, meat was given to us to eat.

Gen 9:3
Every moving thing that livith shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things.

Quoting mik1of3:

Here you go...

Genesis 2:8 & 9 “And the LORD God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had formed. And out of the ground made the LORD God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil.”

Genesis 1:29 “And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.”

Genesis 3:15 & 16; “And the LORD God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it. And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat:”

Genesis 1:30. And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so.

Quoting AnotherKim:

LOL! Chapter and verse, please.

Quoting mik1of3:

Actually, Adam & Eve were vegetarians.  They didn't eat the animals that God created until they fell.

Quoting artistmom889:

Yeah., why?  Animals have been raised for food since before time began....and it's not new for kids to know about it.

Quoting Pink.Frosting:

Why? 

Quoting Caitlin10081989:

That is horrible that the chickens and rabbits are going to be used for food. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mik1of3
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Yeah, and Noah was after the fall.  That was kinda my point.   good

Quoting kcangel63:

I think that is correct. However, since the time of Noah, meat was given to us to eat.

Gen 9:3
Every moving thing that livith shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things.

Quoting mik1of3:

Here you go...

Genesis 2:8 & 9 “And the LORD God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had formed. And out of the ground made the LORD God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil.”

Genesis 1:29 “And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.”

Genesis 3:15 & 16; “And the LORD God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it. And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat:”

Genesis 1:30. And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so.

Quoting AnotherKim:

LOL! Chapter and verse, please.

Quoting mik1of3:

Actually, Adam & Eve were vegetarians.  They didn't eat the animals that God created until they fell.

Quoting artistmom889:

Yeah., why?  Animals have been raised for food since before time began....and it's not new for kids to know about it.

Quoting Pink.Frosting:

Why? 

Quoting Caitlin10081989:

BeccaBear11
by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:21 PM
I agree with you and I don't even eat animals. If you are going to choose to eat an animal, you should give it the respect it deserves to live a quality life, not one in a cage the size of its body in a factory. And killing the animal yourself is at least fully owning up to your choice instead of letting someone else do your dirty work.

Quoting Maevelyn:

Why should she be ashamed. It's her lifestyle and a highly justifiable one. subsistence farming is second only to hunter gather lifestyles for preventing illness, they will be reducing packaging waste, transportation wast and actual wast since some of the animals each left over vegetables and produce fantastic compost. Kids that grow up around barn animals are less likely to suffer from respiratory illnesses later in life. Not to mention when you raise an animal for food you learn to appreciate what you put into your body. Ask anyone who lived prior to mass food industry and they will tell you meat doesn't look or taste the way it should. My grandfather is the best, kindest person I know and he grew up on a farm and hunted to supplement food for his family when they couldn't afford to eat what they grew during the depression. I don't know anyone who values life or animals more. I have never seen him or heard of him 1) Yell at a child 2) hit a a child 3) hit an animal 4) neglect an animal or child. In fact as a fire chief he risked his life multiple times to save animals from fires (my grandmother saved the clippings) He was raised to understand the value of life and nature of the life cycle. I hope OP kids get the same lessons. I know I know, hitting verse killing lol but he is never cruel. I know vegans that can't honestly say the same. 

Quoting Caitlin10081989:

Why would she advertise that she is teaching her children how to kill and butcher animals? I did not ask where food comes from or what food packages are wrapped in. 

Quoting Pink.Frosting:

It's where food comes from.  It doesn't just appear in shrink wrapped packages...

Quoting Caitlin10081989:

Why would she advertise that she is teaching her children how to kill and butcher animals? 

Quoting Pink.Frosting:

Why? 

Quoting Caitlin10081989:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Maevelyn
by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:28 PM

My Poppop always said "I'd rather be a pheasant in the field then a chicken in a cage."

Quoting BeccaBear11:

I agree with you and I don't even eat animals. If you are going to choose to eat an animal, you should give it the respect it deserves to live a quality life, not one in a cage the size of its body in a factory. And killing the animal yourself is at least fully owning up to your choice instead of letting someone else do your dirty work.

Quoting Maevelyn:

Why should she be ashamed. It's her lifestyle and a highly justifiable one. subsistence farming is second only to hunter gather lifestyles for preventing illness, they will be reducing packaging waste, transportation wast and actual wast since some of the animals each left over vegetables and produce fantastic compost. Kids that grow up around barn animals are less likely to suffer from respiratory illnesses later in life. Not to mention when you raise an animal for food you learn to appreciate what you put into your body. Ask anyone who lived prior to mass food industry and they will tell you meat doesn't look or taste the way it should. My grandfather is the best, kindest person I know and he grew up on a farm and hunted to supplement food for his family when they couldn't afford to eat what they grew during the depression. I don't know anyone who values life or animals more. I have never seen him or heard of him 1) Yell at a child 2) hit a a child 3) hit an animal 4) neglect an animal or child. In fact as a fire chief he risked his life multiple times to save animals from fires (my grandmother saved the clippings) He was raised to understand the value of life and nature of the life cycle. I hope OP kids get the same lessons. I know I know, hitting verse killing lol but he is never cruel. I know vegans that can't honestly say the same. 

Quoting Caitlin10081989:

Why would she advertise that she is teaching her children how to kill and butcher animals? I did not ask where food comes from or what food packages are wrapped in. 

Quoting Pink.Frosting:

It's where food comes from.  It doesn't just appear in shrink wrapped packages...

Quoting Caitlin10081989:

Why would she advertise that she is teaching her children how to kill and butcher animals? 

Quoting Pink.Frosting:

Why? 

Quoting Caitlin10081989:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)