Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

So they do chores. I am not beating them!

Posted by   + Show Post
Do you think giving young kids chores is abuse? A coworker came up to me and said I looked very tired. I told her that it has been a rough couple of months, but I am so happy I added dishes to my kids chores. That has helped a lot. They are still learning how to do them and I do the pans and knives. Yet, them doing their chores has been great. She looked confused for a minute and then asked how old my oldest is. He is 4. She said that children that age shouldnt be doing chores, especially dishes, and that I should be careful with my ex wanting custody and everything. Uh? I am not beating my kids. They do house cleaning. Things they messed up and dirtied! They pick up their toys, pick up the living room, set and clear the table, wipe the table and do the basic dishes. Sometimes they wash walls and help wash the tile floors. I just smiled and said I had to get back to work. Is it wrong to give young kids chores? Do you think I should be worried?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 9:19 PM
Replies (81-90):
pasteeater
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 10:22 PM
She's not helping them! They do every thing but the pans. I should say he. Her four year old child that's when he's not scrubbing dishes then he gets to do walls and floors. I'm sure he's having a blast. But then some women are breeders. That way after a few years of training they get sit on their ass.

Quoting Miss_MikLain:

When I was 4 I was helping my grandma do dishes. It was quality time with my grandma I wouldn't trade for the world. I even had my own rubber dishwashing gloves. I felt so cool. And I learned how to clean up and the responsibility and respect. You help clean up. It's a life lesson. I think you're doing awesome. It's not slave labor or a child sweatshop. I mean I used to try to help with all the chores when I was his age. And it helped me learn to not make huge messes because a lot of work went into keeping the house nice and safe and clean.

Go you!! Good mama!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Smilez4u0102
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Three kids making a fun watery mess with the dishes...well that just spells out abuse.

(You would be surprised at the crazies out there that wouldn't even think to take out the knives.) BTW...just ignore the "lazy" comment. She just wants to get a rise. If more people would just ignore people like that then they wouldnt do it as often. And we wonder why there are so many children that bully other children. Its amazing that we dont look at their parents and see where they get it from. 

Quoting Kenre:

I wouldnt give them knives. I am not insane. They have a blast. Their little brother sits under them and usually all 3 end up soaked. I already shown them how to check that they are clean and to do the entire dish when cleaning it. When they are done they go play with their friends.

Quoting Smilez4u0102:

It's certainly not abuse...if you need the help and they are actually a help then by all means. Im glad you take the knives away though...that could be abuse if they hurt themselves. Definitely make sure they have time to enjoy their evenings with you too.

pasteeater
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 10:25 PM
It will be interesting when she posts from the er talking about how her butler I mean son has cut himself and is getting stitches.

Quoting ETHANMASONMOMMY:

That was not nice at all....Mayb her 4yr old is like mine and likes to do the dishes...But op no I dont think its wrong for them to do chores it is teaching them how to be responsible.

Quoting pasteeater:

Four yrs is way too young to do dishes. How lazy are you?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
norahsmommy
by Platinum Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 10:26 PM
My 4 yr old loves helping with dishes! She marches into the kitchen and says " can I help?". She gets to do the silverware ( not knives) plastic stuff and small plates and bowls.

Quoting PinkyPan:

"He is 4." I think you may be going over board with the chores.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Recreated
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 10:27 PM
Um i remember loading the dishwasher and cleaning toilet at that age. I was not abused. I turned out just fine. Dd is 2 and dries her fork, spoon, cup, and plate after i wash them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1busymomma03
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 10:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I would never allow a 4 year old to do dishes!! But only because I would be afraid they wouldn't be clean enough for my OCD standards!! LOL

Kenre
by Ruby Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 10:28 PM
Did I miss something? Do you really think that my 4 year old is doing everything in this house? Do you really think I am forcing him to do anything when he does his chores? He and his brother enjoy doing the chores. It maybe takes them an hour to do them all, and that is on days they dumped their toy bins. I am right there while they do the dishes. I am cleaning the counters and stove. I am inspecting/drying and putting them away. We laugh and they get sopping wet. When they are done we take towels and wipe the floor with the water they spilled. Then we put the towels in the wash and off they go to play (usually after a shirt change).

Quoting TerrorMom:

Quoting Kool_Aide:

Quoting TerrorMom:

OK so the mom who mistakeningly sleeps through her child getting out of the house is a CPS worthy call, but the mom using her 4 year old (and younger) for slave labor is mother of the year. Wow. 

Oh please! Slave labor? Dishes, picking up toys and helping mom pick up is slave labor? Hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Dishes at 4? Please. She's admitted to being a very tired, very pregnant single mom. What is she NOT admitting to? Helping to do dishes is one thing, actually doing them alone is another. My boys were 10 before I trusted them enough to do dishes, and I just started letting my 15 year old do laundry a year ago. Yes chores build character and teach responsibility, but at 4, this child should be learning to pick up his own toys, not washing up after the family. 

If I'm going to be completely honest, the child did not make her a very pregnant single mom, she did, if she can't do her own household chores, then maybe they would be better off in the fathers custody. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Teeshann
by Ruby Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 10:29 PM

oh brother. there is nothing wrong with teaching children responsibility. i have a 4 year old and he can sweep and mop. i usually have to supervise and go over what he did but he's learning and he has fun with it. he also helps me with the dishes by bringing me dirty dishes, putting the silverware away. oh, he even helps fold the towels when i'm doing laundry.  

Quoting pasteeater:

She's not helping them! They do every thing but the pans. I should say he. Her four year old child that's when he's not scrubbing dishes then he gets to do walls and floors. I'm sure he's having a blast. But then some women are breeders. That way after a few years of training they get sit on their ass.

Quoting Miss_MikLain:

When I was 4 I was helping my grandma do dishes. It was quality time with my grandma I wouldn't trade for the world. I even had my own rubber dishwashing gloves. I felt so cool. And I learned how to clean up and the responsibility and respect. You help clean up. It's a life lesson. I think you're doing awesome. It's not slave labor or a child sweatshop. I mean I used to try to help with all the chores when I was his age. And it helped me learn to not make huge messes because a lot of work went into keeping the house nice and safe and clean.

Go you!! Good mama!!

USMCwife22
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 10:30 PM
While I think 4 is a little young to do dishes...and wiping walls...my 4 year old is responsible for keeping his room picked up and putting away he he takes out..he also likes to help with laundry and vacuuming..but I don't make him do those last two.
comf
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 10:32 PM
I had to buy my 14 month old his own broom so he would stop trying to take mine!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)