Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you work (or have worked) in a call center..

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:13 AM
  • 59 Replies

What has your experience been?

I'm going to be applying with a company that will most likely set me up in a call center for somewhere like Verizon Wireless, and I'm wondering what it's like?

*Edit: I should add that the job pays $12 an hour, in a state whose minimum wage is barely over $9.

by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kaysha
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:14 AM
Its hell.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mes_deux_amours
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:14 AM

I did for years. I hate call center jobs. They are so stressful and the job is incredibly micromanaged.

grey7399
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:15 AM

I liked call center jobs..  They were fun.  People are assholes and it gave me TONS to bitch about and laugh about.

Dollyrot
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:18 AM

What made it hell? And was it more hellish than, say, working in fast food would be?

Quoting kaysha:

Its hell.

Mommy2ZOEBETH
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Hated it! But it's a job. I worked in one place overnights where most people wore pajamas.That was kinda fun.

Dollyrot
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:23 AM

haha, that SOUNDS like it would be fun!

Quoting Mommy2ZOEBETH:

Hated it! But it's a job. I worked in one place overnights where most people wore pajamas.That was kinda fun.

RobinSun
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Your avi looks soooooo familiar.......

confused

Quoting grey7399:

I liked call center jobs..  They were fun.  People are assholes and it gave me TONS to bitch about and laugh about.

~Whats understood doesn't need to be explained~
3LittleMonstrs
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:26 AM
Miserable! I worked in a call center for 3 years, its boring people you call are crazy irritated by all the calls you make to them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PartyGalAnne
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Prepare to be verbally abused by strangers for 8 hours a day.

The company I worked for was great to their employees. They held lots of contests, dress down days, free lunches and theme days, but the customers were a nightmare!

kaysha
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:29 AM
I worked for a company that handled incoming Verizon calls. 6 weeks training (that was cake), then on to real calls. Bitchy people frustrated with their service / plans / bills etc. Yelling and swearing at you. And your not supposed to write anything down, you type notes while looking up information and talking. They don't want you to use the mute button and not put people on hold or make transfers. Don't dare ask a question unless you've been on one call over 15 minutes and then expect to get wrote up for the call lasting
more than 5 minutes. The list goes on. I preferred fast food work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)