Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Move to Canada?

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 9:42 AM
  • 5 Replies
Have any of you ever moved to Canada for a job? Would you recommend it? Do you become a citizen of Canada alone or have dual citizenship?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 9:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mes_deux_amours
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 9:46 AM
We moved there for a year. Getting residency and citizenship isn't easy. They change their immigration policies constantly, even after you've submitting thousands of dollars in their fee and their huge packet of paperwork.

Are you married to a Canadian? That makes it easier.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandy716
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 2:28 PM
No I'm not. I'm currently looking for a job and had someone call me about an open position in nova Scotia. I just don't know anything about the process

Quoting mes_deux_amours:

We moved there for a year. Getting residency and citizenship isn't easy. They change their immigration policies constantly, even after you've submitting thousands of dollars in their fee and their huge packet of paperwork.

Are you married to a Canadian? That makes it easier.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Apr. 20, 2012 at 2:30 PM

I wouldn't.  I have A LOT of family there, as my grandfather was one of 26 children and he was the only one that left, but I'm not impressed.  Anything I can do there I can do here......

christina0607
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Good luck. Canada is one of the hardest to get citizenship. It will cost you mucho dinero.

MyIslandGirls
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 2:38 PM

I'm Canadian. If the job wants you and you want to move there.. then the company will issue you a Work Visa.. it's on them to do so. Through that you should be able to get visa for your family as well.

Once you have a visa you will be put under our healthcare system... meaning you won't pay anything out of pocket for basic medical needs (that's universal health care for ya) so dr visits, er visits.. free. and no doubt that the company would have you on a good health plan so that anything above the basics (Eye dr, dentist, perscribtions) will be covered as well.  Nova Scotia's minium Wage is $10.50.

If you really want to look into it then call the company back and ask them about work visa's and the process you need to go through.  You will not be granted REsidentcy unless you wish to stay. a Work visa is usually 1-3 years long.. with options to renew.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)