Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Then and now

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:14 AM
  • 3 Replies

Sometimes I think it's a dang miracle that I survived my childhood. I did ALL those things that I'm too scared to let my kids do:

Rode in the back of pick-ups

Swam in the lake with no adults watching me

Never rode in a car seat (was in a wreck as an infant, sitting on my aunts lap)

Climbed trees & fences (I JUST read a status about a little boy who is in ICU because he fell out of a tree & hit his head)

Dumpster Dived (We had a huge fort built and decorated with things we got out of dumpsters lol)

Ran the neighborhood, walked across town to the park & pool, visited neighbors

Built ramps & jumped them on my bike with no helmet. And with my roller skates. That did not end well. 

I can't figure out if my mom was just REALLY stupid, or if those are a rite of passage of childhood that I'm forcing my kids to miss out on because I'm terrified they will get hurt. 

by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
bamababe1975
by Stephanie on Apr. 19, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Well, back then I think people just didn't know any better, but now we do. Still, I think some things you can still let your kids do if you really feel comfortable, like visiting neighbors you know. Other things like seat belts, car seats, helmets, etc., I think you really have no other choice.

Mrs.Winchester
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 12:48 PM

When I was a kid we didn't even OWN car seats or helmets.  I remember running the neighborhood unsupervised at all hours, having dogs roam with us (without a leash! GASP), using the stove and oven myself, watching R rated movies, etc.  Going by how most people act it's a miracle that I'm not in prison or dead.

amomynous_j
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 12:50 PM

i find myself thinking the same thing!

i used to steer my dad's van most of the way home in the country as a kid. i "explored" the bushes around my house for (what seemed) to be hours. we had old unused barns and buildings i'd play in. i would wander in the fields..i even got lost in a corn field once! lol

we jumped off the barn roof into snow, we swam in a dugout, we skated on the dugout.

i miss all that, but i don't think i could let my kids do any of that!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)