Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty training a boy in public

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:22 PM
  • 6 Replies

I can not get my DS to pee in a public place....at all!  We started potty training about 3 months ago, and he's doing awesome, pretty much trained at home, but he refuses to go anywhere near public toilets.  I don't want to rush him into it, but I dunno how to get him to at least try sitting on the toilet!  Any ideas?!?! 

(And no, I'm not going to scare him into it...I just want him to feel better about going in one, instead of being scared!)

by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
bethanysmom1007
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 4:50 PM

BUMP!

2girlsMom.MN
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:05 PM

I have a girl so not the exact same but we also were trained completely at home and scared to death in public.  Not sure if he stands or sits but my daughter was terrified of the public potty. I found at walmart these neat little portable seat covers that fold up and you place it on a big potty so they don't fall in. We had a princess one I think. That helped big time!  I also to this day have a cheapo portable potty chair in our trunk at all times. I got it at Ikea it's really small and we take it out and use it all the time. Sometimes my daughter can't hold it, sometimes there is no potty in sight, if were at the beach whatever she'll squat on her potty chair in the parking lot, on the floor in our backseat. When they gotta go they gotta go. Maybe these ideas would help you. My daughter got over her fear pretty quick about public restrooms. She's 3.5 been fully trained for awhile but the potty chair in the trunk has been a lifesaver and I plan to keep for awhile.

mama.martinezz
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:08 PM

mine refuses to go poop except in his pull-up...but he stands up to pee and wants to pee everywhere and on everything LOL!

BUMP! :) 

MisfitInTN
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:08 PM
No clue ds trained very easy and has never been scared of the potty
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KelliansMom
by Gold Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:11 PM

for a while if the public restroom had auto flushers i had to cover the senser for him so it would go when he was going and he did better with standing up to pee in public too. 

cowgirlsmommy
by Gold Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:42 PM
Maybe he's afraid of how loud public toilets are. Especially automatic flushing toilets. That's what was wrong when my oldest was potty training. Make sure he understands they're just like the ones at home and cover sensors if necessary.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)