Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

We put my Pa in the nursing home yesterday

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:58 PM
  • 12 Replies

so any prayers would be appreciated.  He has colon cancer.  My mom is an only child, and I'm the only grandchild who can help take care of him.  It's breaking our hearts, but my mom and I work and we just can't do it anymore. My mom is taking it pretty hard, though not many people can tell.  She's not one to talk about it, and she's very inward.  Thanks!

by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KairisMama
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 2:00 PM

I understand, and it's hard. My grandma had to go to a nursing home 3 years ago, for my mom couldn't take care of her anymore. She had her leg amputated due to a fall and having severe RH, and dementia is setting in.

Just visit as often as you can.

SuperPickle
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 2:01 PM
1 mom liked this

((HUGS)) My DH works at a nursing home, he knows how tough that decision can be for people. He is actually the head of admissions in the CNA department so he works closely with the families, answering questions about day to day care and such.  Dont be afraid to ask for family services if you have any concerns.

PhyllisGB
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 2:55 PM

~ Hugs ~   Is your mom taking it hard because of both issues: his illness + having to put him there?

We put my mom into a home last summer & my brother still cannot get over it.

Praying for you all................

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Apr. 19, 2012 at 3:00 PM

HUGS and will keep your family in my prayers..That would be a hard decision.

bryawidz
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 3:04 PM

prayingSaying lots of prayers! My Grandma is in the hospital now (She tripped over her oxygen and broke her hip), but they told us that she should be in a nursing home afterwards. She is a very stubborn lady as I think she has the right to be, she's 89 and has 12 children that are perfectly capable of splitting up the time to take care of her. But if it's only you and your mother and he is that ill it's honestly the best decision you could make. <3 Praying for you and your family and that he gets the care he needs. <3

jenn4443
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 3:05 PM
I have worked in nursing homes for many years and I do home health now, it's not an easy decision I know and I am sure your mom feels awful but this was probally the best for him so he can get the care he needs, it's not easy for a family member to do around the clock care, just be sure you guys go see him as much as possible and you can even bring him home for the day or weekend.
I am sorry you are going through this. Hugs mama!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Britty1987
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 3:27 AM
Ok thanks :)

Quoting SuperPickle:

((HUGS)) My DH works at a nursing home, he knows how tough that decision can be for people. He is actually the head of admissions in the CNA department so he works closely with the families, answering questions about day to day care and such.  Dont be afraid to ask for family services if you have any concerns.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Britty1987
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 3:28 AM
1 mom liked this
Yeah :( sorry about your mom :(

Quoting PhyllisGB:

~ Hugs ~   Is your mom taking it hard because of both issues: his illness + having to put him there?

We put my mom into a home last summer & my brother still cannot get over it.

Praying for you all................

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Britty1987
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 3:29 AM
Thanks

Quoting lil_mama06:

HUGS and will keep your family in my prayers..That would be a hard decision.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Britty1987
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 3:31 AM
Thanks. It's very hard but we just can't do it anymore :( sorry about your grandmother :(

Quoting bryawidz:

prayingSaying lots of prayers! My Grandma is in the hospital now (She tripped over her oxygen and broke her hip), but they told us that she should be in a nursing home afterwards. She is a very stubborn lady as I think she has the right to be, she's 89 and has 12 children that are perfectly capable of splitting up the time to take care of her. But if it's only you and your mother and he is that ill it's honestly the best decision you could make. <3 Praying for you and your family and that he gets the care he needs. <3

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)