Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Ugh this is such a huge decision....help me decide...

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:42 PM
  • 41 Replies

Poll

Question: Should we stay or should we go?

Options:

Stay where you are

Move to the new house

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 56

View Results

I've made a couple of posts about this already but it is decision day. We currently live in a 2bd/1bth apartment we rent for 575/mo (25 is for gas). We don't pay water and electric is approx 60 in the winter and 240 in the summer (ac unit is ran by electricity). We do not have a washer and dryer so we do our laundry at a laundry mat and generally pay 50/mo. We live in Norman, I work here but df works in Purcell (20 miles south). His kids live 45 mins north in North OKC. It is already extremely cramped and we have a baby due in June.

Okay, we found a 3bd/2bth mobile home in Lexington (5 min dr from Purcell where he works). It rents for 650/mo. We will have to pay water, gas, and electric. It has washer and dryer hookups so no more laundry mat. It also has a yard. It is up for rent by df's employer and they agreed to let us pay out the deposit if we want it. I absolutely love it!

Df has been hesitant because of the added expenses and drive to get his kids once a week. The commute to work for me will be the same as it already is for df so that isn't an issue. I also won't be working for 6 weeks after the baby is born but I have 2 weeks worth of paid vacation I will be taking.

The owner called today to let us know it is ready and if we want it to let her know asap otherwise she will rent it out to someone else. We talked and df said he would go for it if I could guarantee I would get overtime for the remaining time I work. Not really an issue.

So what should we do? Stay where we are and possibly move after the baby is born which would be at least 6 months later? Or go ahead and move now?

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luna091306
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:49 PM

BUMP!

PinkyPan
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:51 PM

I would make the move now.

ChaoticSoul
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:52 PM
Go for it. Sounds like a better situation.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
panther79
by Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Quoting PinkyPan:

I would make the move now.

I agree

Bknotnobody
by Sadie on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:53 PM
Do it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WheelerWife
by Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:55 PM
What do the water, gas and electric run in the 3 bedroom place?

A move now might be easier to get everything set up before baby is here.
Sunshine2plus2
by Sunshine on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:56 PM

I would go for it! I was in a simliar situation not long ago. Rent was 585 everything included but I hated it. Found a home for 650 had to pay everything. We were worried about paying all the extra bills but we took the chance and so far everything is going well! You will just have to cut back eating out andbuying stuff  you dont really need!

Luna091306
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Water will be about 50/mo. I really don't know about the gas and electric. Is there any way we could find out?

Quoting WheelerWife:

What do the water, gas and electric run in the 3 bedroom place?

A move now might be easier to get everything set up before baby is here.

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

DixieL
by Dixie on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:59 PM

In my opinion you should take it now. You will have more room. You will have a washer and dryer. You will save money on that, You will have a yard for your kids to play in. The money you save on laundry will almost pay for the difference in rent. You will not have to go to the laundromat, when if's freezing outside. It sounds like in the longrun you will all be a lot happier. Maybe there is something else you can cut down on so you will have more money to save for a rainy day.

Justine1123
by Justine on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:59 PM
I would go for it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN