Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I'm tired of people saying things about the way I parent! (VENT)

Posted by   + Show Post

My husband was talking to his boss the other day about how our son likes to watch TV in the mornings and how since he's been having trouble sleeping we've been letting him watch 5-10 minutes of TV before putting him back down. His boss rudely said that I should be reading him books instead of letting him watch TV. Thankfully I wasn't there other wise I would've given him an ear full. I DO read to my son and he's not sucked into the TV or anything. In the morning he watches nick jr which are kid friendly cartoons, although in the afternoon he'll sometimes watch Phineas and Ferb with me lol, he watches maybe an hour of TV through out the day, no not in one sitting. I try to teach him his body parts, he's more obsessed with his belly and toes then anything else, some ABCs and what things are and stuff. I read to him as often as he'll sit still but he's always been one to go go go. He doesn't say very many words but he knows how to communicate with you for what he wants. I admit I don't get on the floor and play with him very often or anything but that's not because i don't like to play with him or anything it's because he's not interested in anything like that. He likes it when you play "hide and go seek", which usually is just letting him see you run to one part of the house and yelling BOO at him which he thinks is hilarious. I talk to him, play with him and read to him. Just because my kid can't say someones name and has a limited vocabulary doesn't mean I don't work with him, believe me I try. My kid watching TV has nothing to do, in my opinion, with his lack of vocabulary. He's a rambunctious little boy who would rather run around and play then sit still and read a darn book. Even as a baby he would get fidgety and roll around to get off my lap. He's getting better a better attention span as he gets older. But seriously I am tired of people associating his lack of talking as me not spending time with him. I'm alone with this kid ALL day...of COURSE I talk to him lol I don't know if it's the age gap between his boss and his wife with me and my husband (he's 29 and she's 27 and I'm 20 and my husband is 24) but they seem to always have something to say.

by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 4:09 PM
Replies (11-20):
-KC-
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Quoting singlemom1208:

People like that are annoying.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emeraldangel20
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Quoting -KC-:

Quoting singlemom1208:

People like that are annoying.

jj_bmom
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Quoting Litlmama87:

And what exactly does HIS wife do all day?

*rolls eyes*

I bet he'll be surprised.

She annoys me lol. We went to their house for his boss' birthday party,which I didn't want to go to lol, and her daughter fell down ONE step , not even fall more like a tumble, and she was crying a little bit and I said oh I'm sure she just scared herself and she made her husband come over and was exagerating how hard she fell.

eema.gray
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 4:25 PM

How old is your son?

I understand exactly what you're saying.  I also sort of understand what your husband's boss is trying to say.

I'm just going to tell you about my son and you can decide what, if anything, you need or want to do with your son based on my experience.  Mom's intuition is usually much better than anything friends, parents, or anybody else can tell you.

My son is four.  A year ago January, about a month past his third birthday, he was functionally non verbal.  I could interpret the few sounds (not words, just sounds) he made and generally understand him.  Nobody else could.  Our doctor, my parents, just about everybody we knew thought he was "just a boy" and he would catch up eventually.  My husband and I had been hearing those phrases for a year and a half.  Thing 1 was no where NEAR children his age, even boys.  He had some behavioral issues as well because he couldn't communcate.  January last year we decided to have Thing 1 evaulated by the school district.  Almost immediately, the speech therapist evaluating him said he had apraxia of speech.  She told us that his limited range of sounds and virtually non existant vocabulary were hallmarks of the condition in children his age.  

Thing 1 immediatey started getting therapy.  He's been in therapy just a little over a year now.  THe progress in that year is absolutely utterly astonishing.  It would be hard to believe we're talking about the same child.  His vocabulary has expanded from six words to just over 300 (a 4 year old should have between 4oo and 500 words so he's still behind but catching up rapidly).  He uses short phrases and has just started using some sentences.  Language wise, he's about a year behind his peers at this point.  When he was evaluated, he was speaking at the level of a 13 month old baby.  Ever since discovering Thomas and Friends, he's always watched a little kid TV every day.  My husband needs the TV on for psychological reasons so all our kids hear it when he gets home from work.  TV or no TV, Thing 1 was born with his brain incorrectly wired for speech.  Nothing but therapy was going to fix it.  The good news is, by the time he finishes K, it will probably be impossible to know that he ever had trouble speaking.  Once the pathways from speech centers in his brain to his mouth are re written, he won't ever need significant therapy.

Until my son was three, I didn't think there was anything particularly wrong.  Mom Instinct said he was frustrated but fine.  At 3, Mom Intstinct said maybe we should investigate a little bit.  There's nothing wrong with waiting and seeing if things change in another year.  Mom Instinct for an 18 month old is completely different from Mom Instinct for a 3 year old!

JennyCaps
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 4:25 PM
My son was the same exact way! It took until a little after his 2nd bday to use more than 6 words. He is 2 and a half now and won't stay quiet! He was always more interested in playing than talking. Just ignore other people. Everyone thinks they know best and shove their opinions down others throats but if your dr. isn't worried than neither should you!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thatgirl70
by Carin on Apr. 21, 2012 at 4:26 PM
1 mom liked this
Just blow his ignorant thoughts out of your mind. Only thing he needs to worry about is signing your husband's paycheck (figuratively speaking).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Saille717
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Sounds like your husband should know better than to have relayed that conversation to you in the first place, if it upsets you this much.  And he should either stop discussing these things with his coworkers, or stop telling you about the conversations.  Do they say these things to you directly, or are you only hearing about it via your husband?  

Also, did his boss say all these things or are you just deriving it from that one comment?  

It kind of seems like they hit a nerve.  

moulinrouge91
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 4:28 PM
I can't stand it either. I have started telling them that even though Landon is my first child I know what I'm doing. People don't know how to mind their own lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jj_bmom
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Quoting Saille717:

Sounds like your husband should know better than to have relayed that conversation to you in the first place, if it upsets you this much.  And he should either stop discussing these things with his coworkers, or stop telling you about the conversations.  Do they say these things to you directly, or are you only hearing about it via your husband?  

Also, did his boss say all these things or are you just deriving it from that one comment?  

It kind of seems like they hit a nerve.  

They don't shy away from saying to me. He was telling me about it because it bothered him too. I avoid them as much as possible so I don't have to hear any of their comments or the look of shock and awe on their faces when I tell them how I let my kid do something

Sanctimommy
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Hubs and I both steer clear of discussing our children with our employers, except in cases of illnesses. It isn't their business, otherwise.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN