Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

After the first kid, did you lose interest in pregnancy books and info?

Posted by   + Show Post

With DD, ten years ago, I pored over two or three pregnancy books.  I read everything.  I wanted to make sure I was doing it all right. 

This time.  Meh.  I just want the prize out of the machine in 7 months. 

I tried reading an updated version of What to Expect When You're Expecting.  But it was as boring as the incredibly lame and inaccurate version ten years ago.  I threw out the other two books.  Totally unreadable.  DH has an app that does the day by day stuff, but even that is a big "who cares" for me.  I'm reading Game of Thrones.  Far more interesting. 

I don't want to hear any mommy/baby oriented conversation any more now than I did then.  It took me five playgroups to find one that didn't bore me to tears.  The one I liked best, served wine and had animated discussions about politics and dumb tv shows. 

I'm very happy I'm pregnant again.  We really worked hard for this baby.  I'm nervous and holding my breath at every doctor's visit.  I'm high risk and I panic if they don't find that heartbeat in the first few seconds.  I'm even too anxious to be excited.

I am keeping up with the pregnancy, every few days, on The Cradle's calendar.  Just for DD.  Now SHE wants to know every little detail. 

All I want it to not vomit on the dog during his walk, to have an easier time pooping and to get a healthy baby in November. or late October if my blood pressure keeps up like it is. 

Did anyone else feel this way about the "next" kid(s)?

"If there is a God, why did he make me an Atheist?" - Ricky Gervais
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 9:01 AM
Replies (11-20):
Velany
by Jess on Apr. 22, 2012 at 10:18 AM

i read everything i could with DS and followed everything and then with DD i was like pft w/e lol..and didnt really follow a whole lot lol.

Proud World Of Warcraft Player..Realm: Bloodhoof

*~*Horde*~* Guild: Champions of Doom: Qüinn(85) Valerïe(85) Sníx(85) Loserlikeme(85) Korb(85) Kaøs(85) Finchel(85) Klaine(71)

UxorQuodMatris.
by Platinum Member on Apr. 22, 2012 at 10:20 AM
YES.
The only information I looked into was cloth diapering and breastfeeding.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
caito
by Caitlin Elizabeth on Apr. 22, 2012 at 10:22 AM
1 mom liked this

OMG I DIDN'T KNOW YOU WERE PREGNANT

okay just had to say it lol.

UxorQuodMatris.
by Platinum Member on Apr. 22, 2012 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this
I was super paranoid with my third pregnancy. I didn't think I could be "lucky" three times in a row.
My middle child is super close to her baby brother already. She was bawling yesterday because he was having trouble pooping.

Quoting inspain:

That's me!  That's me!  So I'm not just being crazy?  This is normal?  Oh, thank you for writing that!

I'm not worried about DD.  She's 10 and she thinks this is the coolest "project" ever. 

Sea Bands.  Yeah.  My mom lent me hers.  Did not work.  She said, "Well, why don't you use what you use when you go out deep sea fishing and diving?  I know you said you used something that stopped the barfing.".  Yes, I did Mom.  It was weed.  But thanks for the suggestion.  ;-)

Quoting SarahSue87:

I have had so much more anxiety with this one, my line of thinking is I had a first who was perfectly healthy and easy, so this one HAS to have something wrong. I have an app on my phone, a weekly update, but nope, no books. lol I guess I just figure everything is the same, I am pretty laid back about it. I have 2 weeks left, and the anxiety is getting worse but now its more about DD1 and her reaction to the baby. 

P.S. have you tried sea bands? they go on your wrists and they worked wonders for my nausea. They are at CVS and you can get them by the motion sickness stuff. Hopefully they help for you too! 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
inspain
by Ruby Member on Apr. 22, 2012 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Tell me you're in the medical field and not, like, a cake decorator or something.  ;-)

Quoting Cymbeline:

No, but I have hundreds, if not into the thousands, of dollars worth of medical books pertaining to obstetrics and gynecology.

It's not just a personal obsession (Thank you Aspergers), but also helpful in my professional life as well.

caito
by Caitlin Elizabeth on Apr. 22, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Oh, and what part are you at in GoT? I'm just past the part where Cat and Tyrion & Co are attacked by the riders. Do you watch the show? :D :D :D

inspain
by Ruby Member on Apr. 22, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Yep.  Space shuttle launches have been cheaper and less complicated.  ;-)

Quoting caito:

OMG I DIDN'T KNOW YOU WERE PREGNANT

okay just had to say it lol.

Ebster
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 10:26 AM
I was the same way, I also used to watch all the baby shows like "a baby story", "special delivery"...etc

Quoting Pnukey:

Yep, totally lost interest. With my first, I read everything I could get my hands on. With my 2nd, meh, I figured, "I've got this!"  So far, so good.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
me-n-mygirls
by Shontell on Apr. 22, 2012 at 10:28 AM
I didnt read any for my first...
I enjoyed the week to week update but thats it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
inspain
by Ruby Member on Apr. 22, 2012 at 10:28 AM

I'm in the first book.  Jon Snow is at the wall and Tyrion just explained to him that being an ass isn't going to make him any friends.   Yes, watching the show.  But DH had already read all of the books and I was tired of him telling me the show was excellent but the books are better.  And they are!

Quoting caito:

Oh, and what part are you at in GoT? I'm just past the part where Cat and Tyrion & Co are attacked by the riders. Do you watch the show? :D :D :D

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)