Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

After the first kid, did you lose interest in pregnancy books and info?

Posted by   + Show Post

With DD, ten years ago, I pored over two or three pregnancy books.  I read everything.  I wanted to make sure I was doing it all right. 

This time.  Meh.  I just want the prize out of the machine in 7 months. 

I tried reading an updated version of What to Expect When You're Expecting.  But it was as boring as the incredibly lame and inaccurate version ten years ago.  I threw out the other two books.  Totally unreadable.  DH has an app that does the day by day stuff, but even that is a big "who cares" for me.  I'm reading Game of Thrones.  Far more interesting. 

I don't want to hear any mommy/baby oriented conversation any more now than I did then.  It took me five playgroups to find one that didn't bore me to tears.  The one I liked best, served wine and had animated discussions about politics and dumb tv shows. 

I'm very happy I'm pregnant again.  We really worked hard for this baby.  I'm nervous and holding my breath at every doctor's visit.  I'm high risk and I panic if they don't find that heartbeat in the first few seconds.  I'm even too anxious to be excited.

I am keeping up with the pregnancy, every few days, on The Cradle's calendar.  Just for DD.  Now SHE wants to know every little detail. 

All I want it to not vomit on the dog during his walk, to have an easier time pooping and to get a healthy baby in November. or late October if my blood pressure keeps up like it is. 

Did anyone else feel this way about the "next" kid(s)?

"If there is a God, why did he make me an Atheist?" - Ricky Gervais
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 9:01 AM
Replies (41-50):
TableforSeven
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 12:56 PM

I actually didn't read ANY pregnancy or parenting books while pregnant with my first baby.  When I was pregnant with my second baby - I got the book "You're Pregnancy Week-by-Week" and I marked all of the weeks of my pregnancy in the corners of each week's info.  I used that book for my thrid through fifth pregnancies as well....more as a record of the time-frame then anything else.  I even went back and marked the weeks for my first pregnancy - so that I had a record of that time-frame as well.

naumann24
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 12:57 PM
Never read anymore books,etc after my first. And I have 4 now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KellBell0820
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2012 at 1:18 PM
I felt that way about the first one. I was so miserable during my pregnancy that I just wanted her out (and healthy). It wasn't until I got pregnant again that I started caring at all (I ended up miscarrying).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Benjamins-mama
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 1:53 PM

I never had a interest in the books when I was pregnant the first time.   I had family to ask for advice

kansasmom1978
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Yes, after my son was born, I just went with the flow. I went with what I already knew and learned what I didn't.  I actually think the books are stupid.  

mama_cullum
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 1:59 PM
I never read a pregnancy book or took classes. I did subscribe to a few baby magazines.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heartnhidin
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 2:03 PM
This made me laugh because its so true for me. With my first pregnancy I was so curious to know the ins and outs of pregnancy. I have the apps on my phone and I occasionally look up things on the website. It's not that I'm not interested but I already have the knowledge. And I am too just picking up and chasing after my son
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
happymommy1105
by Platinum Member on Apr. 22, 2012 at 2:06 PM
1 mom liked this
I hated pregnancy stuff the first time around.

Ya know.what? I still eat lunch meat and pineapple. I.still take medicine when I need to. I still drink a coke everyday. I still do what I want.

Whatever. I don't.have time for every pregnancy rule there is. I use common sense. Like hey maybe now is a bad time to ride a roller coaster.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kmary
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Yeah.   I was so over them with my second.  I think they only contain a very tiny amount of helpful information, and are basically full of things to cause you unecessary anxiety and worry. 

kaygarcia97
by Gold Member on Apr. 22, 2012 at 2:11 PM
I was that way to an extent. I was happy to be pregnant but not as obsessed as I was with my first. Probably because I had a sixteen month old to run after, I was seperated from dh (we worked it out), I had cpmplete placenta previa. It wasnt all sunshine and rainbows.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)