Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do you say "please" and "thank you" to your kids?

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 12:17 PM
  • 272 Replies
4 moms liked this
When I tell me kids to do something, like clean up their mess or whatever, I always try to say "please" and"thank you" often. My mom told me the other day that it irritates her that I do this. So I asked her why... Her explanation? ...because you are the parent and they should do what you say. Apparently she feels like by thanking them or instructing politely that it gives them the idea that what I've instructed them to do is an option.
Um, no. I'm practicing good manners and teaching them good manners at the same time. Don't get me wrong, my kids do what they are told to do... But No one wants to be ordered around. Even if they are "just kids" there isn't any reason for me to command them around like a damn drill sergeant. That's just rude. And I remember thinking as a kid that it would be nice to get a "please" or "thank you" every now and then.
So... Do you practice good manners with your kids, or just command them around like little servants?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 12:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
siouxssie
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 12:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I always say please and thank-you to my children.  It's just common courtesy.  That being said, they know that they don't have an option to do what they are told to do.

MommaGreenhalge
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2012 at 12:19 PM
11 moms liked this
When I ask the first time, yes. And sometimes the second or third. But I stop being polite when they have ignored me for too long.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mamacruz13
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 12:19 PM
1 mom liked this

We use please and thank you when talking to our son.... That is how he learned to use them. Your mom is crazy lol.

CrystalDawn2506
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2012 at 12:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes I do : ) I think DD needs to learn by example more often since she is getting older. So I say please or thank you to her when I ask her to do something even if its something she needs to do ( cleaning her room etc) .

connorsmommy120
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 12:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, DH and I both do.

iwanabemomie
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2012 at 12:20 PM
1 mom liked this
I do it daily to my almost 2yr.she's even in the habbit of saying it when she's given something.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ednarooni160
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 12:20 PM
1 mom liked this

My kids are adults and I still do this.. I think you are right..it's best to be courtious and to teach your kids to be also.

ittybit2012
1 mom liked this

Children learn by example.  I say "please" and "thank you" to my children.  I set that example and they use it too.  

kayandjsmom
by Alecia on Apr. 23, 2012 at 12:20 PM
2 moms liked this

I always say please and thank you and so do my children. I even apologize to my children for certain behavior. They deserve to be treated like I treat any other people I respect. Actually better!

missamanda86
2 moms liked this

For them to learn we must teach...we do say please and thank you unless they are being downright defiant and refuse to listen, then its a command

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN