Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do you say "please" and "thank you" to your kids?

Posted by   + Show Post
When I tell me kids to do something, like clean up their mess or whatever, I always try to say "please" and"thank you" often. My mom told me the other day that it irritates her that I do this. So I asked her why... Her explanation? ...because you are the parent and they should do what you say. Apparently she feels like by thanking them or instructing politely that it gives them the idea that what I've instructed them to do is an option.
Um, no. I'm practicing good manners and teaching them good manners at the same time. Don't get me wrong, my kids do what they are told to do... But No one wants to be ordered around. Even if they are "just kids" there isn't any reason for me to command them around like a damn drill sergeant. That's just rude. And I remember thinking as a kid that it would be nice to get a "please" or "thank you" every now and then.
So... Do you practice good manners with your kids, or just command them around like little servants?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 12:17 PM
Replies (31-40):
IncognitoOne
by Angela-Marie on Apr. 23, 2012 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I do. And they started using the "Please, thank you, you're welcome, sir, ma'am" at a very young age :)

They're polite little men, most of the time (they do have kid moments, lol).

KimmyShaw
by Ruby Member on Apr. 23, 2012 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I try to! I think it shows them how to act and treat others....

Pink_Sunshine
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 12:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Of course I do. That's how they learn how and when to say it.

MyDarkAngel

If I ask my kids "Will you please clean your play room?" They have the option to say no because I asked them if they would. If I tell them "Clean your play room, please." they have no choice. The difference is "ask" and "tell."

Quoting ramonafrog:

What do you mean "they have the option to say no"?

Quoting TSNDDY:

Yes I say please and thank you but they do have the option to say no when I ask them to do things

mitchiesgirl
If I am telling my oldest to so something (like clean his room) no... If I ask them to get me something or to do something for me then yes
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Peytonsmommy310
I always use please and thank you with my son. He's only two so he's learning by watching me :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rileysmommy229
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this

i always do!

SuperPickle
by Ruby Member on Apr. 23, 2012 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Yep. If we expect children to learn courtesy it should be displayed by the people they learn from!

singlemom1208
1 mom liked this
I do. I try and teach by example
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LadyKenna
1 mom liked this

Yes very important for me to talk to them they way I would want them to talk to me!! MANNERS are a MUST!!  I think its great my 3 yo says yesterday " mommy haybug need  to talk to u, can we please talk?" I love this!!!  Just to ask about y sister was in the time out chair!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)