Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
It is in small claims. Several months back (I made a post about this too but couldn't find it) I found a min poodle in the middle of a busy street it ran onto a side street and since I almost hit it I picked it up. I took it home with me and posted signs with my number. The dog was well groomed and had a collar but no tags so I figured it belonged to someone. Well after a day no one had got a hold of me. I called animal control a d they came and picked up the dog. A couple hours later I got a call saying they had saw my signs and it was their dog. I told them it was at the animal control. Well not even an hour and half after that (I was actually getting dressed to take down the signs) I got another call saying it was their dog. I told them where it was at also. Well then I got a call about a half hour later from the second lady saying that the dog was not at animal control and she was calling the police. The police came and talked to me and after confirming the dog was once at animal control and picked up by someone (assuming first lady) they could not do anything (she was trying to file theft charges). Now I got a notice that she is taking me and animal control to small claims. Our for $2500
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 8:41 AM
Replies (121-130):
AmaliaD
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 12:48 PM

wow.  she wont get anything - she lost the dog to begin with - if you had run it over in the road you also wouldnt be accountable because she failed to maintain control of her dog --- now if your dog runs away from the groomers or vet - not in your care -  and gets stolen, hurt, etc - the groomers are at fault - but u had no obligation to help her out - you are nice for trying... and why doesnt animal control have the name and number of the first woman who came to get the poodle... oh well - i dont think you will have to pay anything.

redhead-bedhead
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 1:27 PM
I guess it varies because in Ohio you can't.

Quoting Mommy2BeAmy:

Yes, you are allowed to use a lawyer if you want to-at least in NY you can 

Quoting redhead-bedhead:

There aren't any lawyers in small claims.

Quoting Mommy2BeAmy:

I dont think it is smart you're posting this on the internet, especially if you're being sued. This can be held against you in court if your story should falter or have a small change in it. (not saying it will but these things get dug up by the attorneys or the opposite party, it sucks)

Anyways, well if you know you didn't do anything wrong and you have proper documentation that you DID infact give the dog to Animal Control, then relax, you have nothing to worry about.

Ask Animal Control if they have video surveilance and if they can give you surveilance of the dog being there that day, as well as letting you take someone from the Animal Control as a witnesss...I dont know why you're stressing so much, the dog got out and if its caught wondering the street it always goes to animal control, its something called  A LEASH LAW....anyways dont worry, you will probably win. Good luck!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ccmvm
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 1:29 PM
She should have microchipped her dog
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aislinn
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 2:58 PM

So, I was thinking about this, OP. IMO, you need to go file a counter suit for court costs. I would get an attorney, but if you cannot afford one ( I would sue for attorney costs, too) you can do this on your own. I would counter sue for time lost at work, etc.. Anyway, the reason I would do this is because this woman was breaking the law, in the first place. There is nowhere that does not have a leash law. She allowed the dog to get out of her control, which is illegal, and is now blaming you for the consequences. Don't let her get away with it. This would be like a drunk driver suing a sober driver for causing an accident. the drunk will ALWAYS be at fault. Just as the LAW BREAKER will always be at fault. It sucks that you have to go through this, in the first place and because I would have done the same thing you did and have taken in stray dogs before until the owner was found. Don't take this laying down.. Excuse the pun.. ;)

Aislinn
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Quoting redhead-bedhead:

Quoting Mommy2BeAmy:

Quoting redhead-bedhead:

Quoting Mommy2BeAmy:

I dont think it is smart you're posting this on the internet, especially if you're being sued. This can be held against you in court if your story should falter or have a small change in it. (not saying it will but these things get dug up by the attorneys or the opposite party, it sucks)

Anyways, well if you know you didn't do anything wrong and you have proper documentation that you DID infact give the dog to Animal Control, then relax, you have nothing to worry about.

Ask Animal Control if they have video surveilance and if they can give you surveilance of the dog being there that day, as well as letting you take someone from the Animal Control as a witnesss...I dont know why you're stressing so much, the dog got out and if its caught wondering the street it always goes to animal control, its something called  A LEASH LAW....anyways dont worry, you will probably win. Good luck!

No. It does not vary. You have a Constitutional Right to have representation, in every state, in every court. Period. It is not necessary to have a lawyer in Small Claims Court, though.

cdi
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 4:15 PM
Here animal control will microchip for $10. I have had both my dogs and cat done. My two dogs are constantly ripping off their collar/tag

Quoting ecriswell:

I'm thinking a judge would throw this out. Not your fault that the woman wouldn't spend $5.00 to get a tag with her address for the dogs collar. That is one of my biggest peeves with people!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
manda-nicole010
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Lol wow someone is sue happy. You found a dog. You put up pictures. No one called. You gave it to animal control. You are no longer responsible at that point. 

GirlWithANikon
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 4:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Unless you get a judge who just smoked crack on his lunch break, hopefully there is a small chance of that in your area, she will lose. Good luck. =)

Mommy2BeAmy
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 6:49 PM

That sucks!! I thought you couldnt (cuz i dont see them on the courts on TV, lol) and my aunt went to small claims and had a lawyer for her "rights" lol.

Quoting redhead-bedhead:

Quoting Mommy2BeAmy:

Quoting redhead-bedhead:

Quoting Mommy2BeAmy:

redhead-bedhead
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 6:56 PM
When my husband was being sued they told him not to get a lawyer. Luckily he won.

Quoting Mommy2BeAmy:

That sucks!! I thought you couldnt (cuz i dont see them on the courts on TV, lol) and my aunt went to small claims and had a lawyer for her "rights" lol.

Quoting redhead-bedhead:

Quoting Mommy2BeAmy:

Quoting redhead-bedhead:

Quoting Mommy2BeAmy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN