Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Thoughts about men who don't believe in epidurals...(what I heard on TV)

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm watching a baby story and this guys just said "My goal for her is to not get an epidural...I don't believe in them"   Ummm excuse me SIR but have you ever experienced this thing called a contraction? Or this this thing called pushing a BABY out of your vagina? Men, in my opinion, should have NO say in what a woman chooses as far as pain relief during probably the most painful experience a woman will ever go through. If a woman chooses she wants a natural drug free labor and delivery then I say encourage her but if she chooses an epidural or whatever else let her have it! I don't think men should be the ones to discourage a woman from pain relief during child birth, I don't think anyone should make anyone feel uncomfortable or less of a woman for getting pain relief during child birth since everyones experience and pain level and tolerance is different.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 1:42 PM
Replies (31-40):
Mommy_Jenx3
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 2:00 PM
My dh wanted me to get one. He hated seeing me in pain. (I had all my kids natural because the option of an epi never worked out)
Rhiannon1980
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 2:00 PM
1 mom liked this
My dh told me it was my choice. I told he no shit your not the one pushing a watermelon through a keyhole lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jj_bmom
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Quoting momswag:

Quoting jj_bmom:

Quoting momswag:

My sisters husband did not want her to have an epidural, there are risks to an epidural that can effect both mom and baby. Why shouldn't a man, the father of the child have an opinion on something that can potentially harm the woman he loves and his child? I have respect for a man who is educated and understands that an epidural in many cases is absolutely unnecessary. 

I have had a medicated birth and a natural birth. My natural birth was far better an experience and went way smoother then my medicated delivery. 

Out of all of the women I've ever known to have babys none of them have ever had a bad reaction to it, aside from my mom but with her it was just that it didn't work. If a woman is in for a long labor there is nothing wrong with pain relief. I know woman who as soon as they get there, with the tiny contractions, ask for the epidural right away. I enjoyed my epidural lol.

Just because you may not know women who have had them doesn't mean they don't. The most common effect that occurs in women is chronic back pain for months to years afterwards. 

Epidurals are pushed by the medical community, ever known someone to have a natural birth? Ask them about the pain. Your body literally gets to it's pain threshold and you numb. While we all may have a different tolerance for pain, our bodies are MADE to delivery babies.

And I also know that migranes can come from it too. I know the ups and downs of it. I was in hard labor for 8 hours until I got my epidural and I tell you what I never went "numb" lol. It's ok to have an opinion but when an opinion becomes over bearing then I have a problem with it.

Toxic.Stardust
I told DH I didn't want an epidural this time around. He thinks I'm off my rocker a little bit haha.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MicheleJM
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 2:01 PM
3 moms liked this
Selfish? Im sorry its traumatic for the baby but damn my being in pain wont help him or her. Its like you tell your child eat your dinner people are starving in Africa. You want them to appreciate what they have and the kid's thinking how does my eating this lousy dinner help THEM in any way? All this will do is get me a tummy ache. I mean hell aint we got enough to beat ourselves over without thinking a frigging epidural is selfish?

Quoting casanderson1:

I agree with this, also think about how much pain the baby must be in! I mean it can't be comfortable to have your 9 month home crush you and force you through a tiny opening, and the baby doesn't get any pain meds.....epidurals are selfish IMO. I had a 9hour med free natural labor and I'm so proud of myself.

Quoting momswag:

My sister's husband did not want her to have an epidural, there are risks to an epidural that can effect both mom and baby. Why shouldn't a man, the father of the child have an opinion on something that can potentially harm the woman he loves and his child? I have respect for a man who is educated and understands that an epidural in many cases is absolutely unnecessary. My sister chose NOT to have an epidural, after weighing the risks and discussing it with her husband. 

I have had a medicated birth and a natural birth. My natural birth was far better an experience and went way smoother then my medicated delivery. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momswag

My natural hospital birth was far less painful then  my medicated hospital birth as well.  If I ever have another, I will also have a natural birth. 

Quoting epoh:

My homebirth was my only non-medicated birth out of 3, and by far the least painful.

JaimieLynn8
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 2:02 PM
2 moms liked this
Oh I can't stay in here...too many ignorant comments from all sides lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luvmymunchkins3
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 2:02 PM
because he is not the one in labor

Quoting momswag:

My sister's husband did not want her to have an epidural, there are risks to an epidural that can effect both mom and baby. Why shouldn't a man, the father of the child have an opinion on something that can potentially harm the woman he loves and his child? I have respect for a man who is educated and understands that an epidural in many cases is absolutely unnecessary. My sister chose NOT to have an epidural, after weighing the risks and discussing it with her husband. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jj_bmom
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Quoting Mommy_Jenx3:

My dh wanted me to get one. He hated seeing me in pain. (I had all my kids natural because the option of an epi never worked out)

My husband was in tears lol Especially once it got close to pushing and the epidural wore off (which is what I wanted to happen)and he moved down into the birth canal Woooo weee haha never cried so hard in my LIFE

momswag
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 2:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting jj_bmom:

Quoting momswag:

Quoting jj_bmom:

Quoting momswag:

My sisters husband did not want her to have an epidural, there are risks to an epidural that can effect both mom and baby. Why shouldn't a man, the father of the child have an opinion on something that can potentially harm the woman he loves and his child? I have respect for a man who is educated and understands that an epidural in many cases is absolutely unnecessary. 

Out of all of the women I've ever known to have babys none of them have ever had a bad reaction to it, aside from my mom but with her it was just that it didn't work. If a woman is in for a long labor there is nothing wrong with pain relief. I know woman who as soon as they get there, with the tiny contractions, ask for the epidural right away. I enjoyed my epidural lol.

Just because you may not know women who have had them doesn't mean they don't. The most common effect that occurs in women is chronic back pain for months to years afterwards. 

Epidurals are pushed by the medical community, ever known someone to have a natural birth? Ask them about the pain. Your body literally gets to it's pain threshold and you numb. While we all may have a different tolerance for pain, our bodies are MADE to delivery babies.

And I also know that migranes can come from it too. I know the ups and downs of it. I was in hard labor for 8 hours until I got my epidural and I tell you what I never went "numb" lol. It's ok to have an opinion but when an opinion becomes over bearing then I have a problem with it.

What do you mean  by hard labor? Pain is subjective. I had very intense labor with my second, which was also my natural birth. At one point I nearly passed out from pain, well actually I didn't breathe through a contraction. I have an incredibly high threshold of pain. I numbed when it was time to give birth, I remember the pain of contractions but not of giving birth. Most women I know who have had natural birth state the same thing. 

My opinion is not over bearing. I'm just stating men should be able to state how they feel about something that is unnecessary. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN