Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Thoughts about men who don't believe in epidurals...(what I heard on TV)

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm watching a baby story and this guys just said "My goal for her is to not get an epidural...I don't believe in them"   Ummm excuse me SIR but have you ever experienced this thing called a contraction? Or this this thing called pushing a BABY out of your vagina? Men, in my opinion, should have NO say in what a woman chooses as far as pain relief during probably the most painful experience a woman will ever go through. If a woman chooses she wants a natural drug free labor and delivery then I say encourage her but if she chooses an epidural or whatever else let her have it! I don't think men should be the ones to discourage a woman from pain relief during child birth, I don't think anyone should make anyone feel uncomfortable or less of a woman for getting pain relief during child birth since everyones experience and pain level and tolerance is different.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 1:42 PM
Replies (41-50):
kitty8199
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 2:05 PM
2 moms liked this
Agree 100%. There are risks and he should have input, but the decision is the womans. I didnt have an epidural, people act shocked. I`d rather have pain, than risk complications. Not all women feel the same. I understand, I know how it feels lol. I dont blame a woman who wants pain relief, it hurts.

Quoting momswag:

My sister's husband did not want her to have an epidural, there are risks to an epidural that can effect both mom and baby. Why shouldn't a man, the father of the child have an opinion on something that can potentially harm the woman he loves and his child? I have respect for a man who is educated and understands that an epidural in many cases is absolutely unnecessary. My sister chose NOT to have an epidural, after weighing the risks and discussing it with her husband. 

I have had a medicated birth and a natural birth. My natural birth was far better an experience and went way smoother then my medicated delivery. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1stpreggers
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 2:06 PM
He has no legal say in anything else regarding a woman and her pregnancy, I don't see his opinion matters for pain management.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luvhubandbabys
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 2:06 PM
I say if u want a natural labor great.. but for the women who want an epidural that is her choice. No man would be pushing me to get or not get an epidural it will always be my decision.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
matofour
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 2:07 PM
1 mom liked this
My epidural births were heaven compared to my natural birth.
I would take an epidural any day over natural.
I was up faster after my epidural as well, within an hour of birth all three times.
My natural birth was not fun, and I would never do it again.

Quoting momswag:

My natural hospital birth was far less painful then  my medicated hospital birth as well.  If I ever have another, I will also have a natural birth. 

Quoting epoh:

My homebirth was my only non-medicated birth out of 3, and by far the least painful.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fisterswife
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 2:07 PM
I think it is ok for him to have his concerns. If his wife feels the need to get one, the Drs would listen to her and not him anyways. If she wants one and doesn't get it because she is doing what he wants, then she deserves the pain.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aamy
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 2:07 PM
Ibqas all about the epidurals for my 2 deliveries, hubby said he would support what ever I wanted.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Elayna90
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 2:08 PM
I was this as well.

Ultimately the woman makes the choice but the man should have his say too.

Quoting momswag:

Good! I was afraid I was going to be the lone wolf with my opinion! 

Quoting got2monsters:

Definitely agree!!!!!

Quoting momswag:

My sisters husband did not want her to have an epidural, there are risks to an epidural that can effect both mom and baby. Why shouldn't a man, the father of the child have an opinion on something that can potentially harm the woman he loves and his child? I have respect for a man who is educated and understands that an epidural in many cases is absolutely unnecessary. 

I have had a medicated birth and a natural birth. My natural birth was far better an experience and went way smoother then my medicated delivery. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
opinionatedmom
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 2:08 PM
1 mom liked this

mine would never have told me what to do in that line. it was my choice and with my youngest i did have an epidural and it wore off by the time I gave birth. mine is not stupid enough to tell me that I would have told him to get the f out.

hp2011
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 2:10 PM
3 moms liked this

If someone told me that, I'd tell him to shit a watermelon and holler at me afterwards.

momswag
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 2:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree. Women should NOT be closed off to the idea of an epidural free birth because they 'fear' pain. The fact remains that if a man is willing to educate himself, so should the woman. 

Quoting Elayna90:

I was this as well.

Ultimately the woman makes the choice but the man should have his say too.

Quoting momswag:

Good! I was afraid I was going to be the lone wolf with my opinion! 

Quoting got2monsters:

Definitely agree!!!!!

Quoting momswag:

My sisters husband did not want her to have an epidural, there are risks to an epidural that can effect both mom and baby. Why shouldn't a man, the father of the child have an opinion on something that can potentially harm the woman he loves and his child? I have respect for a man who is educated and understands that an epidural in many cases is absolutely unnecessary. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)