Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Thoughts about men who don't believe in epidurals...(what I heard on TV)

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm watching a baby story and this guys just said "My goal for her is to not get an epidural...I don't believe in them"   Ummm excuse me SIR but have you ever experienced this thing called a contraction? Or this this thing called pushing a BABY out of your vagina? Men, in my opinion, should have NO say in what a woman chooses as far as pain relief during probably the most painful experience a woman will ever go through. If a woman chooses she wants a natural drug free labor and delivery then I say encourage her but if she chooses an epidural or whatever else let her have it! I don't think men should be the ones to discourage a woman from pain relief during child birth, I don't think anyone should make anyone feel uncomfortable or less of a woman for getting pain relief during child birth since everyones experience and pain level and tolerance is different.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 1:42 PM
Replies (51-60):
Mrs_Szontagh
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 2:10 PM
2 moms liked this

Discussing those decisions with your partner is GREAT. But please, let me husband tell me after 40 wks of pregnancy and God knows how many hours of labor (my last was over 30) that he doesn't 'WANT' me to get an epidural. I don't WANT to push this giant baby out of my vajj but I'm doing that! 

Quoting momswag:

My sister's husband did not want her to have an epidural, there are risks to an epidural that can effect both mom and baby. Why shouldn't a man, the father of the child have an opinion on something that can potentially harm the woman he loves and his child? I have respect for a man who is educated and understands that an epidural in many cases is absolutely unnecessary. My sister chose NOT to have an epidural, after weighing the risks and discussing it with her husband. 

I have had a medicated birth and a natural birth. My natural birth was far better an experience and went way smoother then my medicated delivery. 

jj_bmom
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Quoting Toxic.Stardust:

I told DH I didn't want an epidural this time around. He thinks I'm off my rocker a little bit haha.

Haha :) I'm hoping that with this baby labor doesn't take as long so hopefully (fingers crossed!) i can go without it. I tried last time but holy heck after 8 hours I couldn't take anymore back labor lol

Its.me.Sam.
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 2:11 PM

hahahaha 

MamaJess9
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 2:15 PM
My DH did not have an opinion about it when DD was born, however when I was pregnant with DS, he was adamant that I NOT have one, only because when they inserted it during DD, I reflexively pulled away and pinched the needle with my spine. It terrified him, and that's why I respected his wishes that I not have one. There were other options by that time anyway that worked just as well. My epidural wore off just before I started pushing with DD anyway.

And for those saying kidney stones were worse than childbirth, I've never had a kidney stone, but I had an ovarian cyst rupture once, and that pain was DEFINITELY worse than labor and childbirth. Not even comparable.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jj_bmom
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Quoting momswag:

I agree. Women should NOT be closed off to the idea of an epidural free birth because they 'fear' pain. The fact remains that if a man is willing to educate himself, so should the woman. 

Quoting Elayna90:

I was this as well.

Ultimately the woman makes the choice but the man should have his say too.

Quoting momswag:

Good! I was afraid I was going to be the lone wolf with my opinion! 

Quoting got2monsters:

Definitely agree!!!!!

Quoting momswag:

My sisters husband did not want her to have an epidural, there are risks to an epidural that can effect both mom and baby. Why shouldn't a man, the father of the child have an opinion on something that can potentially harm the woman he loves and his child? I have respect for a man who is educated and understands that an epidural in many cases is absolutely unnecessary. 

I have had a medicated birth and a natural birth. My natural birth was far better an experience and went way smoother then my medicated delivery. 

I always tell women it doesn't hurt to try(no pun inteneded) I tried with my son but it was just too painful. Had I been progressing more I would've held off.

Nikki286
by Nicoli on Apr. 24, 2012 at 2:16 PM

my pain tolerence is super low and when it gets to where most women are at like a 5 on the scale of 1-10 i am at like a 15 so i went with the epidural... but it wasnt just one shot they put the epidural pump in which made me loopy but i felt no pain. I didnt scream through contractions i was like hm is she coming out? cant tell...  loved it will do it again. once i reach that level of pain i throw up until i am dry heaving so it would have been a horrible experience to do natural childbirth... i was calm and laughing during the whole ordeal and no screaming in pain no hard breathing no worries i enjoyed the process more with the epirdual then i would have without

momswag
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Quoting jj_bmom:

Quoting momswag:

I agree. Women should NOT be closed off to the idea of an epidural free birth because they 'fear' pain. The fact remains that if a man is willing to educate himself, so should the woman. 

Quoting Elayna90:

I was this as well.

Ultimately the woman makes the choice but the man should have his say too.

Quoting momswag:

Good! I was afraid I was going to be the lone wolf with my opinion! 

Quoting got2monsters:

Definitely agree!!!!!

Quoting momswag:

My sisters husband did not want her to have an epidural, there are risks to an epidural that can effect both mom and baby. Why shouldn't a man, the father of the child have an opinion on something that can potentially harm the woman he loves and his child? I have respect for a man who is educated and understands that an epidural in many cases is absolutely unnecessary. 

I always tell women it doesn't hurt to try(no pun inteneded) I tried with my son but it was just too painful. Had I been progressing more I would've held off.

I know many women who 'tried' but they chose and epidural because they knew they had that option to fall back on, so I don't believe they tried THAT hard. Of course it's not my place to even have an opinion on it, but when you (general you) have a crutch you're more likely to fall back then go forward... 

casanderson1
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 2:20 PM
Well darn I ain't ever thought bout that.....

Quoting MicheleJM:

CafeMom Tickers
Aislinn
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 2:21 PM

LMAO My husband is not/was not brave enough to ever say anything like that to me... lol

cryssi_renee
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 2:23 PM
1 mom liked this

I hope they talked about that before deciding to have a baby.  If my DH had said that to me I would have punched him in the face. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN