Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

teach me about smart phones

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:12 AM
  • 31 Replies

I have a Droid 3 with Verizon and love it.  BUT I now need a smartphone WITHOUT a camera.  I have been trying to find through friends, but haven't had any luck.  I need it to download a program called Skyscape for my nursing program.

I have had no luck on Craigslist either.  So I have turned to Amazon, but I am so confused.  What does "unlocked" mean?  Is it legal?  Can I still download programs on these phones if I don't have a contract?

Can anyone help me find anything on Amazon that is a Palm, Blackberry, or Droid without a camera or contract?

ETA:  I won't buy on Ebay after we had someone hack the account and our PayPal (separate emails and passwords) and charged 2 Macbooks to our account and paid for overnight shipping.

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
armyvet06
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:13 AM
Maybe you can look it up on your phone under your apps tab.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
armyvet06
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:17 AM
I just looked it up on my andriod and its completely free. You should have a tab or something for just apps somewhere on your phone. You can download it from there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bellawomen
by Summer on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:17 AM

I cannot use my phone because it has a camera.  Hospitals do not allow us to have our personal phones on us with cameras or the ability to use it as a phone.  It runs a high risk of HIPAA being violated.  I actually have to have this new device in my pocket with me on the floor to help with patient care.

I will have the program on my phone as well since we get multiple downloads, but I cannot use it on the floor when I need it.

Piskie
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:18 AM

Very few smartphones don't have camera's, why are you so against having one? They're a pretty much standard feature.

Unlocked means it's available to use on any network, and yes it's legal to do. Most smartphones are locked to use on a particular network, but once the contract is finished a lt of people unlock it and sell it on.

bellawomen
by Summer on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:18 AM

The Skyscape available on the Android market does not include everything included in the download application we buy from the school.  It specifically made for nurses.

tgirl715
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:19 AM

If you go into your app or market place and type it in search it comes up and it is free. I just checked I have the RAZR which is also a Droid.

bellawomen
by Summer on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:20 AM

I don't have a choice.  It cannot have a camera otherwise I cannot use it on site.  Not my rules otherwise I would use the Droid I already have.

Quoting Piskie:

Very few smartphones don't have camera's, why are you so against having one? They're a pretty much standard feature.

Unlocked means it's available to use on any network, and yes it's legal to do. Most smartphones are locked to use on a particular network, but once the contract is finished a lt of people unlock it and sell it on.

armyvet06
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:22 AM
Maybe you could look into a no contract phone. They have a lot of smart phones but I'm not sure if they have cameras or not.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bellawomen
by Summer on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:22 AM

I have to have the premium features and more, which cost.  Again, I cannot use my own personal phone because it has a camera and violates every hospital's policy in my area.  Staff cannot carry any device with a camera during shift.

Quoting tgirl715:

If you go into your app or market place and type it in search it comes up and it is free. I just checked I have the RAZR which is also a Droid.

bellawomen
by Summer on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:24 AM

From a wireless provider?  I talked to Verizon and very few don't have cameras and prices start at oer $400.  That is going to be a last resort :/

Quoting armyvet06:

Maybe you could look into a no contract phone. They have a lot of smart phones but I'm not sure if they have cameras or not.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN