• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Taking a trip!

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:33 AM
  • 3 Replies
My son and I are driving from New York city to Florida this Friday. My son is almost 5 y/o. What should I make sure to have for my trip.
So far I have coloring books, crayons, snacks, iPad, iPod, headphones, and some small tos like cars.
For myself for safety I have the road side kit, a blanket, a seat belt cutter/window break tool, fix a flat, and I know how to change a tire. I also have road side and onstar.
We will be stopping at a family friends house on our way down.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
LancesMom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:00 AM

I'd also take a pillow for him to take a nap. Wipes to clean things up on the way. A cooler with frozen water bottles to keep stuff cool. With fresh fruit sandwiches, snacks etc.

obx_Mom
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Cell phone charger and your wireless headset for handsfree calls. 

Don't over think the trip. Make it fun and be sure to stop often to stretch your legs. 

I always look for places that have lots of motorcycles and tractor trailers because I've always found bikers and truck driver know where the good clean restrooms are, plus regardless of the stereo type - they are good people. I know because I am one. 

You'd be surprised how many of those "biker gangs" that you pass on the road are actually missionaries or Christian groups who like to get together and ride! The leather is for protection from road rash, not a fashion statement. 

I also always make sure to carry baby wipes and a roll of toilet paper just in case you have to make an unexpected pit stop along side of the road. 

Some plastic garbage bags for trash to keep cans and waste off the floor. 

And last but not least a digital camera and plenty of batteries to document your trip. Make sure you let your son take pics along the way. The great thing about digital is you can delete the "garbage pics".

Jennyanne322
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:32 AM
A bunch of my friends are bikers with the leather. The leather actually helps a lot god forbid there is an accident. I have seen it first hand.
You have a ton of great ideas here. Thank you!!!!

Quoting obx_Mom:

Cell phone charger and your wireless headset for handsfree calls. 

Don't over think the trip. Make it fun and be sure to stop often to stretch your legs. 

I always look for places that have lots of motorcycles and tractor trailers because I've always found bikers and truck driver know where the good clean restrooms are, plus regardless of the stereo type - they are good people. I know because I am one. 

You'd be surprised how many of those "biker gangs" that you pass on the road are actually missionaries or Christian groups who like to get together and ride! The leather is for protection from road rash, not a fashion statement. 

I also always make sure to carry baby wipes and a roll of toilet paper just in case you have to make an unexpected pit stop along side of the road. 

Some plastic garbage bags for trash to keep cans and waste off the floor. 

And last but not least a digital camera and plenty of batteries to document your trip. Make sure you let your son take pics along the way. The great thing about digital is you can delete the "garbage pics".

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)