Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My 3 year old son is getting his tonsils, andoids and tubes in his ears on may 11,2012

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:36 AM
  • 12 Replies

HI, my son has to have his first surgery surgery next month, my husband said he had his tonsils and andoids took out when he was little and he said it was nothing, my son dr said he ll be ok too.  My friend said her daughter had hers out last year and she had a hard time after her surgery, i guess every kid is different though. The dr said he has to stay in the hospital for 23 hours and i can stay with him and he ll send him home with pain medicine and throat spray.   The dr did nt say how long the healing process is? He s already a picky eater sometimes, he don t like jello or pudding, but he loves icecream, yogurt, and cottage cheese so hopefully he ll be ok.  He s my baby boy, i think i m more worried about his surgery then his dad.  Or maybe i m just a concerned mom.  I ' ve never had surgery before either but i will be having nasal surgery in may too so i guess i' m scared for myself and my son.

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LveMy2K1dS
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:40 AM
Both my boys had theirs out at 2, they did fine! DS1 ate mac and cheese when we went home from the hospital! I'm sure he'll be fine! Good luck!
hddcooper
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:41 AM
My 11 yo dd had tonsils and adenoids out about two months ago. Her healing process was about ten days. The nurse told me females 10-35 seem to take longer to heal. Guess we are weak lol. The dr told me to let her eat solids as soon as she could. Said using the throat muscles speeds healing process. Don't let him spit !!! My dd did constantly and that's why it took her so long to heal. Good luck!! Oh and tubes are no big deal at all. My oldest had them at 9 months and it was best thing we ever did for her !
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kansasmom1978
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Im sorry the title made me laugh.  It says he is getting his tonsils, anoids and tubes in his ears. LOL  I never knew they took them out of your throat and put them in your ears. Sorry. Hope he pulls through okay.

laranadtony
by Emerald Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:44 AM

I have seen a lot of that.None of mine had their tonsils removed.

Why would they do that?I mean,I know it is for his well being.I am just asking what would warrant it?

weirdgothmom
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:50 AM
had sugery on anoids as kid i turned out fine will too
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ninipanini
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:39 AM

It took ds about 2 weeks before he was back up to snuff.  No crunchy, salty or spicy stuff.

The hardest thing with him was getting him to drink. If they keep hydrated, it keeps their throat moist so the scabs don't get crusty and start bleeding, etc. 

The cottage cheese might be a little salty but the yogurts and ice cream will feel good.
i also took frozen fruit(peaches) with apple juice and ice and made slushies to try to keep the fluids moving.

I had my tonsils out 35 years ago and I still remember the pain.

It hurts but it's manageable.  DS went through his healing without pain reliever because they said he could only take tylenol and it doesn't work, makes him twitchy.  So he went cold turkey.  PRetty painful. 

lmjess
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:46 AM

MY SON WAS A MONTH SHY OF HIS 3RD BIRTHDAY WHEN HE GOT HIS TONSILS/ADNOIDS OUT. HE HAD ALREADY HAD 2 SETS OF TUBES, SO i KNEW WHAT TO EXPECT, SURGERY-WISE.

He bounced back quickly.

He required surgery because his ear infections caused his tonsils to inflame and they were the size of golf balls and no amount of antibiotics reduced them! They affected his breathing and sleeping.

kidlet29
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:47 AM
my son is 2 and just had tubes in and adnoids out he was fine didn't slow him down at all
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
notjstasocermom
by Samantha on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:02 AM

he'll be fine. I'm surprised they are keeping him in the hospital that long though.

joseph2009
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:25 PM

the dr said it will help him breath better and stop him from snoring the dr said he taking his tonsils out cause they are swollen and tubes in his ears cause he has fluid in his ears.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)