• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kindergarten?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:20 AM
  • 22 Replies

So if I want to sign my 3 year old up I have to do it now. He'll be 4 when the school year starts up...

How do I know if he's ready? It's the head start program at the school, not full blown kindergarten but not preschool either...

When did you put your children in school?

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
                                 Lilypie - (itGM)

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
3monkeys2love
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:23 AM
In our school district they have to be 5 before September 2nd. Not sure how head start works but you can call the school and ask if he's old enough.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DallasCowboys81
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:23 AM

They wont let him do kindergarten until he is 5. :( IT sucks I know. I put my DS in preschool when he turned 4 and he absolutley loved it. Good luck.

eesmommy
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:24 AM
Headstart is pre k not kindergarten. find the pre k you want him in and apply but most spots are taken by march first so good luck you may find one for cheap but probably not free.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EsmeVincent
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:25 AM
Ds starts pre k this fall...the requirement was he has to be 4 before sept 1st....he is already 4
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mstricey
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:25 AM
He started preschool when he was 3.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KimmyShaw
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:26 AM

My DD went to preschool at 4....I never heard of kindergarten before 5, most states I lived in have to be 5 before a certain date.

Does he do well with others and listening? Does he know his colors, numbers, letters (by site and writing them), shapes how to write and recognize his name....hmmm thats all I can think of now

EsmeVincent
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:27 AM
And if you dont want to pay a butt load then look for state funded pre k in your area...the spots might be taken already...we had to have ds signed up by the end of march
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HTLoveMyBoys
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Here there is two years of kindergarten, called jr and sr kindergarten. My youngest is in jr kindergarten right now and he started when he was 3 since his birthday is in december.

Loving Wife to Matt since 06/17/95.
Dedicated Mom to Shane Wyatt (05/29/96),
Brendan Cole (02/13/99), Liam Everett (04/06/01), Hayden Levi (01/10/03) & Riley Chase (12/28/07)

hockeymomws
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Here in NC..head start is only for children who's families are low income and there is a long waiting list. My oldest ds will be 5 when he starts kindergarten but 3 months shy of turning 6. My youngest ds will turn 5 Sept 1st and have to wait a whole year before starting kindergarten..  simple frown

diegosmom828
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:33 AM
I signed up my son for kinder and they do a screening to see if he's ready to start if he scores below 10 he would have to go to a 4 week program to get him ready. He did not go to head start or pre k but he knows the basics to start kinder.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)