Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

What do you consider to be ________.... (especially if you were a SAHM)

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:39 AM
  • 10 Replies

What do you consider to be "taking it easy"?

I am 25 weeks pregnant and have lost my mucus plug. I went to the doctor last night because I was having a lot of pain. I was pretty darn sure that they were just BH, but my doc says that I need to take take it easy, especially due to previous diagnosis of incompetent cervix. That doesnt necessarily mean bed rest, but just to basically rest as much as I can and not over do it.

Right now, my days consist of cleaning, cooking, running errands, home schooling my 4 year old, playing with her, and we are generally fairly active (playing at the park, going swimming, riding bikes, etc).

Obviously I dont want to change too much. I dont want to stop cleaning my home but just doing the basics doesnt feel like enough to me. I dont want to plop my kid in front of the tv all day. I dont want to stop doing activities with her. But I also want to rest and take it easy.

So what do you consider to be "taking it easy"?

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
notjstasocermom
by Samantha on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:43 AM

no more than what you do already, maybe stop the bike riding.

musical_chic04
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:46 AM
Don't lift anything heavier than 10-20lbs... Ask your OB what he considers taking it easy
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KimmyShaw
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:47 AM
2 moms liked this

I would ask the doc what exactly he means....

BamaMommy2
by Angel.N.Disguise on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Do things with your daughter that don't consist of such physical activity (going to park, riding bikes, swimming, ect). Sit her in your lap and read books to her or color with her. Things that you can do sitting down, I guess. Idk...good luck to you, momma!

Bump!

lordkanarven
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:50 AM

I would skip on the bike riding, swimming and that sort of thing. Maybe explain to your daughter has to be extra careful with mommy.

Join me in Blues Mamas if you have a passion for music!
Teeshann
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:56 AM

i'd limit the going out and even the cleaning i'd only be doing easy bare minimum stuff. i know it's hard. i'm trying to take it easy. i can not walk and it's driving me crazy. my house has gotten away from me because i can't clean and it just irritates me. i'm lucky and have some friends who are coming over to clean and bring me some meals till i heal.

i also have a 4 year old and he's surviving not going out and doing a lot. i just told him mommy can't do much right now but after the baby comes we'll be able to go out and do fun things again.

CDMelty
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this

I think you need to swallow your pride. Do only the basics with cooking and cleaning. Plop her in front of the TV but make it educational TV. Play with her on the floor instead of at the park.  Ask yourself what you'd rather look back on in ten years, the 2 or 3 months when you had to be lazy out of all of the years you've had your kids, or the work you did and the playtime your daughter got right before you lost the baby. It sounds cruel, but those could be the only 2 choices.

bchic24
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:02 AM

When I was told to take it easy my doc said he just meant don't over exert myself. Meaning do my day to day but don't take on anything extra and get plenty of rest

cLanief
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:03 AM
ummm no vacuuming, dont lift anything over 10 lbs, no riding bikes (no idea about swimming), no strenuous activity, sit as much as possible, lots of sleep. You gotta suck that shit up and take it super easy
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
obx_Mom
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:11 AM

I would say you definitely need to leave the laundry to someone else, especially if you live in a 2 story house or have to carry a laundry basket up and down stairs. 

Pushing and pulling on a vacuum cleaner is going to be a big NO NO

No more bike riding or long walks. 

You're gonna need help with the grocery shopping, and I'd have your daughter climb up into your lap instead of lifting on her a whole lot. 

Your husband is definitely going to have to pick up a lot of the chores. Especially the ones that involve lifting. 

Try to remember that this is only going to be for a few weeks, not for the rest of your life, and its for the life of your baby, not because you want to be lazy. 

I can promise you that a little bit of extra soap scum in the tub may be annoying, but the Cleaning Police won't throw you in jail if you have a sink full of dirty dishes at the end of the day. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)