Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I take him or not?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:52 AM
  • 32 Replies
My brother moved in with us recently. He does not have a car (but will hopefully get one soon since he is not paying rent). In the meantime he needs rides to and from work (20 min away). He used to just walk to work. Well I originally told him I would take him. But I got to doing some research, and there is a cab service partially funded by the county that will take you anywhere in the county for $1.50 each way. They will pick you up at your house and drop you off at work (which his work is on the county line). The only catch to it is you have to schedule with them a week in advance (which he could do since df is the manager and said he will give him a set schedule) and the times he would get picked up and dropped off would be a hour before and hour after his shift (he works thirds and they only opporate during certain hours). My brother don't like this idea. Would you tell him just to suck it up till he gets a car?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
i_lovedyoufirst
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:54 AM
Yes. It's either that or his happy ass can walk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cdi
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:55 AM
It is now too far to walk lol. It is 20 min highway

Quoting i_lovedyoufirst:

Yes. It's either that or his happy ass can walk.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amy_M
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:55 AM

He's already living with you rent free, I say make him find his own way to work.  It is not your responsibility.  And $3 a day for a ride to and from work...not a bad deal

MommySwiggles
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:55 AM
Yep
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkyPan
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:58 AM

I would tell him suck it up especially since he is not paying rent. You are already helping him out by giving him a place to live. He needs to be more independent and not count on you for everything. It may also light a fire under his butt to actually save the money needed to get his own car.

AmaliaD
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:58 AM

i wouldnt let anyone live with me rent free so its hard for me to say - he certainly has to ground to stand on if he wants to complain!   to ride in a cab isnt bad -  you arent telling him to get on a public bus or anything ....   that IS what most ppl without cars do - ride the bus.... soo... yeah...  dont you realize he is this way because you allow it.   ??  i am sure its from your fam growing up but still - dont enable mooches then complain that they mooch.   

AmaliaD
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:58 AM

has "NO" ground to stand on - its supposed to say...

starreyedcutie
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:58 AM
Yea exactly

Quoting Amy_M:

He's already living with you rent free, I say make him find his own way to work.  It is not your responsibility.  And $3 a day for a ride to and from work...not a bad deal

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cdi
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:01 AM
It in a way is like a buss because sometimes they do pick up others to ride aloong too if they are going in the same direction. It is like a van

Quoting AmaliaD:

i wouldnt let anyone live with me rent free so its hard for me to say - he certainly has to ground to stand on if he wants to complain!   to ride in a cab isnt bad -  you arent telling him to get on a public bus or anything ....   that IS what most ppl without cars do - ride the bus.... soo... yeah...  dont you realize he is this way because you allow it.   ??  i am sure its from your fam growing up but still - dont enable mooches then complain that they mooch.   

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
malissaL
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:01 AM

I personally would take my brother to and from work until he got on his feet..and I would expect him to do the same for me were I ever in a spot where I needed his help.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)