Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do you think christianity is a fear based religion?

Why or why not?

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:56 AM
Replies (31-40):
Meldisse
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:16 PM
2 moms liked this
When the bible says anything about God and Fear... "fear" means respect not being scared of anything. "fear the lord you God" = respect the lord your God.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boysmom5
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:20 PM
Probably depends on the denomination. There is nothing wrong with a healthy amount of fear.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kodysmommy928
by Jenjo-a-gogo on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Without a doubt.

Arwyn724
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:22 PM

No, not the way I have been brought up.  There are different 'methods' for preaching Christianity, and I have never been subjected to the 'fear' version.  The only thing about my religion I would fear would be to be separated from my Lord eternally.

xoxoDanicaxoxo
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:23 PM
Yes, lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
razmatazthespaz
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:23 PM

i think it CAN be depending on who is doing the interpreting...

i have met christians who choose to spread their faith through love, and those who would spread their faith through scare tactics and threat of damnation....

i do not htink it is an exclusively fear based religion..

ramonafrog
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:24 PM
1 mom liked this
The bible says God hasn't given us the spirit of fear. As a Christian how can I choose to only be one based in something that God doesn't offer me?
No, I myself am not a Christian based on fear, and I don't think christianity as a whole is either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boysmom5
I'd like to add this to my response. Fear meaning respect.

Quoting Meldisse:

When the bible says anything about God and Fear... "fear" means respect not being scared of anything. "fear the lord you God" = respect the lord your God.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
piwife
No am christian and I don't think it is. My mother scares me more the God.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
circle_of_life
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Then why does it say "fear" and not respect? Fear and respect are not the same thing. My kids respect me, but they don't fear me. I wouldn't want my kids to fear me, why would God want me to fear him? Just like, I wouldn't take my kids out back, throw them in a pit, and set them on fire just because I felt they weren't loving me and respecting me enough or in the right way. Why would God allow me to burn in hell for not believing the "right" thing or coming to him the "right" way or loving him the "right" way? If God is all loving, all powerful, then why would someone go to hell for loving god in feminine form, or in the form of buddha or whatever? These are pretty much the teachings of most christian sects, right? That Jesus is the only way, and any other way leads to hell? Not bashing, just trying to understand view points...

Quoting Meldisse:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)