Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A girl I know died, do I go to visitation or funeral?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:03 PM
  • 12 Replies

She was 18 years old, and died unexpectedly in her sleep. We went to school together, shared classes, though we weren't close. The visitation is tomorrow, and I was thinking of going, though I'm not sure. I want to pay my respects, but I don't know what the ettiquette is in these situations. What do I do? Should I go? Should I say anything to the others if I do? I don't know her family at all, I wouldn't even know who they are. If I do go, should I go to the visitation or funeral?

The first rock thrown again,
Welcome to Hell, Little Saint

Mother Gaia in slaughter,
Welcome to Paradise, Soldier

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy2b39465
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:40 PM

I'd go to the visitation 

ejbljb
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:41 PM

I would go to the visitation. 

Mrs.Brugger
by Tiara on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:44 PM

visitation. Often they'll have a line to talk to her family as well, just introduce yourself, tell them you went to school with their daughter, and you're sorry for their loss. You don't have to say more than that, but usually they will have that 'line' before getting to the actual loved one.

The funeral is usually more for close friends and family I think.

malissaL
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:46 PM

i'd go..if you went, you will be surprised at how many people you will recognize from school, you'll be able to pay your respects and you'll be glad you went :)

kemmerer411
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:48 PM
Visitation.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoriLou75
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:50 PM

You should go. Usually the family is seated in the front row. You will see others offering their sympathy, just follow and youll be fine. 

I am sorry for your loss :(

DropZoneMom
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Yes.  Go to the visitation -- tell her family that you went to school with her, and that you're sorry for their loss.   Just make a brief appearance -- it will mean the world to them.

MyLittlePwny
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Visitation.  The funeral is more for the people that were closest to her.

clusterkid
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Visitation. 

ceemuhreeashbee
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:03 PM
I guess I'm not up on etiquette.. because I only go to viewings if I was close with the person. I've always seen funerals or Life Celebrations were for everyone who knew the person and to share their stories. Burials are what are usually close friends and family only.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)