Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What happens when you don't pay your vehicle registration for 1 year?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:31 PM
  • 34 Replies

Update:  Went to DMV yesterday afternoon and I DID NOT have to pay any extra fees and I just had to pay for my tags for this next year.  I lucked out!  :)  Thank you everyone for your comments. 

I'm embarassed to even post this so I made up a fake profile.  We haven't been able to afford our vehicle registration for the past year.  April is when it comes up due again.  We have the extra money now but I'm wondering if we will have to pay the past years plus this years or just this years?  I can't seem to find any info on it online. 

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2gr8tgirls
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:34 PM
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you'll just owe one year. Your state can't prove you didn't drive the car for a year. I'd say you got lucky getting away with it for a whole year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dispatchangel91
by Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:34 PM
Where I live you will have to pay last year and this year plus the penalty fees... Prob gonna be expensive. Call them and ask how much you owe
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Registration
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Thank you.  I looked up info for our state and the only thing it talks about being late is that you aren't assessed a late fee. 

Quoting mom2gr8tgirls:

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you'll just owe one year. Your state can't prove you didn't drive the car for a year. I'd say you got lucky getting away with it for a whole year.

lovingwifey
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:36 PM

IDK honestly.  When I moved out I had no idea you had to get your vehicle registered once a year.  (yes, I was spoiled) so I went 9 months, never got pulled over, ect.  My Dad finally told me I did not have to pay extra.  I just explained the situation.  

Now back in Oct my tags had been expired for two weeks.  I was going to go to the tag agency and do it, but since hubby is military we get a discount.  I needed the commanders signiture but hubby was in the field.  So I got a 150 dollar ticket over it. lol 

Logan_Bellasmom
by Falling Starr on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:37 PM

You will have to pay last years this years and most of the time a penalty.

Logan_Bellasmom
by Falling Starr on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:38 PM

If you arent driving it they have the option of registering non op. You are in fact wrong =)

Quoting mom2gr8tgirls:

evanne337
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:39 PM
We just got ours done after it sat tor a year we just paid for this years
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RoseWall
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:40 PM

i think you will pay both years plus last years penalty. call you tax assessor collectors office they can verify

Registration
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:40 PM

I know for sure NO PENALTY -

What is the penalty if I don’t register my vehicle within 30 days?

There are no additional fees or penalties added by the county if you are late obtaining a registration for your vehicle. You should be aware that if you are stopped by law enforcement, you could be issued a citation for operating a vehicle that is not properly registered. Also, while there is no penalty for late registration, there is a penalty assessed if sales tax is not paid within 30 days if the vehicle is a new purchase. Contact your local Motor Vehicle Office to determine specific penalties for late payment of sales tax.

What I'm wondering though is if I'll have to pay double?  I mean honestly what happens when people have a car that breaks down and they don't register it and then register maybe a couple years later when they get it fixed?  Do they have to pay registration for that vehicle for 2 or whatever years?

Fields456
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:40 PM
It is different for every state. Call your local tax office And ask
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)