Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Starting a business!

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:53 PM
  • 21 Replies
My friend and I are trying to start an organic bath and beauty line. Trying to decide on a name Shades of Earth, Natural Beauty and Simple Beauty? Or any other ideas? Would love advice from anyone who has started a business! Sorry I'm mobile so no poll!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shajdinyak
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:59 PM
Bump! I know its not drama but help me out!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vvanness89
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:02 PM

I don't have any suggestions.. But I really like "Natural Beauty"!! I think I would fit the business perfectly!!

Rhiannon92
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Simple Shades of Earth?.. I don't know. Let me think on it and I'll come back.

gum.drop
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:03 PM
1 mom liked this
I like shades of earth .
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrCruzito
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Raw Beauty, Crude Earth, Virgin Beauty.

You shouldn't get too creative with the name.  Should be simple, identifiable and easy to remember.  Brand Recognition is important.  Shouldn't be confusable with any other line.  Im not sure where you live, but if your trying a start up business, I would rethink the whole creating your own beauty line.  Its not a unique idea, there is a small market for it.  You would have to mass produce it, you would need to make the stuff. I dont know if your some kind of chemist, or already have your own small time beauty line you make yourself...but generally if people wanna go big with a start up you need to sell your product to investors, thats really hard to do. 

Your idea has to be so fucking brilliant that other people want to hand you millions of dollars to get it going.  Something like a beauty line would require a lot of manufacturing and start up costs would be massive.  I have 3 businesses and have helped in inventing, patenting and manufacturing a couple of things, I come from a family of inventors and entrepreneurs.  When wanting to mass produce a product its important that your cost be very low if you will have little to no investors or start up capital.  Especially if you are going the organic greenie way. 

The biggest failing of creating a product and selling it to the public is their costs are too high and they dont make enough off individual sales.  Retail marks their costs up on average of 100%, if they purchase it for $40.00 from the manufacturer they will sell it to us for $80.00.  This means the manufacturer was able to create an item that seemed worth $80.00 to the public, this means if he is making any money at all that $80.00 sticker price only cost him $10.00, $15.00 to create. 

This is why supply and demand is so important.  You need to figure out your ideal demographic, who will be buying this?  How many of those people are there?  How will I get those people to love my product?  Are there other superior products like mine?  What makes mine different from the rest?  Why would someone buy mine instead of that other one almost like mine?  These are all very important questions before investing yourself in any business venture, especially with little experience.  I wish you all the luck in the world. 

_mimimosley_
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:09 PM
Register your business. look into advertisment, yp.com is real good and google.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shajdinyak
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:20 PM
Thank you so much!

Quoting MrCruzito:

You shouldn't get too creative with the name.  Should be simple, identifiable and easy to remember.  Brand Recognition is important.  Shouldn't be confusable with any other line.  Im not sure where you live, but if your trying a start up business, I would rethink the whole creating your own beauty line.  Its not a unique idea, there is a small market for it.  You would have to mass produce it, you would need to make the stuff. I dont know if your some kind of chemist, or already have your own small time beauty line you make yourself...but generally if people wanna go big with a start up you need to sell your product to investors, thats really hard to do. 

Your idea has to be so fucking brilliant that other people want to hand you millions of dollars to get it going.  Something like a beauty line would require a lot of manufacturing and start up costs would be massive.  I have 3 businesses and have helped in inventing, patenting and manufacturing a couple of things, I come from a family of inventors and entrepreneurs.  When wanting to mass produce a product its important that your cost be very low if you will have little to no investors or start up capital.  Especially if you are going the organic greenie way. 

The biggest failing of creating a product and selling it to the public is their costs are too high and they dont make enough off individual sales.  Retail marks their costs up on average of 100%, if they purchase it for $40.00 from the manufacturer they will sell it to us for $80.00.  This means the manufacturer was able to create an item that seemed worth $80.00 to the public, this means if he is making any money at all that $80.00 sticker price only cost him $10.00, $15.00 to create. 

This is why supply and demand is so important.  You need to figure out your ideal demographic, who will be buying this?  How many of those people are there?  How will I get those people to love my product?  Are there other superior products like mine?  What makes mine different from the rest?  Why would someone buy mine instead of that other one almost like mine?  These are all very important questions before investing yourself in any business venture, especially with little experience.  I wish you all the luck in the world. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shajdinyak
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:20 PM
Thank you!

Quoting _mimimosley_:

Register your business. look into advertisment, yp.com is real good and google.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
randomosityblog
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Natural Essentials

Eco Essentials

Eco Beauty

Earthly Beauty

Errr I suck. Sorry. lol

MrCruzito
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:26 PM

No problem, happy to help out : )  If you have any more questions or want a little bit more of a specific opinion or whatever, feel free to PM me, im not an expert in anything, but I have experience.

Quoting shajdinyak:

Thank you so much!

Quoting MrCruzito:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)