• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty training a trauramtized child HELP!

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:54 PM
  • 5 Replies
Long story...
My in laws live with US, as in we pay the majority of the rent, they asked is to move in with them because they can't afford rent and we payed the whole down payment on the house we rent together.
When my daughter was slightly over 1 1/2 she was showing a lot of signs that she was ready to potty train so we decided we would give it a shot while they where out of town for the weekend. Things where going very well and then they came home. My DD had decided the only place she would use her potty was the hallway by the bathroom door, so thats were we let her go. We left the potty in that spot because every time she walked by it she would remember to use it and her would even run to it when she was ready. But my in laws refused to let her go there and keep on moving her chair into the bathroom even after I told them why it was there and not to move it. So within two day she wouldn't use her potty anymore, wouldn't tell us when she had to go, and screamed when we put her on it. I knew they traumatized her and gave her a few more months and tried again and still nothing. She will literally get off her potry and go inches from it.
so we are moving out in July and will try again (she's 28 months now) and was wondering if anyone had any advace (we will use the three day method, again) or experience potty training a child that is pottitized?

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
morrigan914
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:00 PM
Bump?!

EsmeVincent
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:02 PM

not quite sure really...I would try what you did again when you start again.  Good luck!

morrigan914
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:07 PM
Quoting EsmeVincent:

not quite sure really...I would try what you did again when you start again.  Good luck!

Thanks, I'm hoping a new house will help.

EsmeVincent
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:10 PM

I'm sure it will...once she gets use to the new house it will be a brand new start...none of the old memories related to the place...maybe get a new potty for her to use if she won't use the old one.

Quoting morrigan914:

Quoting EsmeVincent:

Thanks, I'm hoping a new house will help.

Lilypie Fith Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

LuLuRex
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Ugh that's frustrating! I wouldn't force it right now and I would just revisit it when you move out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)