Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Atheist group demands removal of religious themed veteran memorial

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:22 PM
  • 50 Replies

An atheist group based in another state is demanding that a religious themed memorial be removed from publicly owned property.

The memorial in front of Woonsocket's number 2 fire station has stood since 1921, and honors the service and memory of 4-Woonsocket veterans who died in 2-world wars.

Now its being called illegal, because the memorial is topped by a cross, and stands on public property.

For Debbie Flitman and members of the freedom from religion foundation... This is simple... A cross can't be on public property.

"It's illegal, and we know that. And just because its been there for 90-something years, doesn't make it right." said Debbie Flitman, whose a member of the Freedom From Religion Foundation, the group that's trying to get the memorial removed.

A woman who lives in Woonsocket but has not been identified was offended by the memorial, and contacted the Freedom From Religion Foundation, which is based in Wisconsin.

The group then sent a complaint letter to Woonsocket Mayor Leo Fontaine, asking that the cross be removed from the memorial.

"If they want to have a religious symbol on it, well go ahead, just not on city property." said Debbie Flitman.

The request is not sitting well with many in Woonsocket, who feel that the city should fight the request, even if it costs the city money it doesn't have.

"We're angry that we're broke. We're angry that we're going to pay a supplemental tax, and now this group gets in, and wants to disturb the hornet's nest. Bring it on. Because we're looking for someone to take it out on." said Woonsocket resident Lorraine Corey.

Many veterans are especially vexed by the situation.

They feel that removing the cross, would be an insult to the 4-servicemen it honors, and they believe the request to remove it is ridiculous. Even if the cross's presence on public land is illegal.

"This is just an attack, a terrible attack, its sorta like another form of terrorism, is what I think it is." said Woonsocket veteran Richard Schatz.

"You don't know whether to be angry that these people even exist, or do you feel bad, because they have nothing better to do. Its just sickening at this point." said disabled Marine vet, Tom Poole.

The request to remove the cross comes just months after the Cranston prayer banner controversy was finally settled.

And some power players in Rhode Island fear that cases involving separation of church and state, will now become more and more routine.

"I'm not surprised because of what happened in Cranston. I figured that was just the start. Where is it gonna stop? I mean this is just the beginning." said North Kingstown Rep. Doreen Costa.

Most residents that ABC6 spoke to say that they want the city to fight for the memorial.

The City of Woonsocket meanwhile says it is weighing its options.

Several veterans groups have come forward to say they will definitely fight to keep the memorial intact where it is.

They say they've already been contacted by lawyers willing to fight the request through the courts for free, if there's any litigation involved.

And if the memorial is forced off public property, the same veterans groups say they'd love to have it displayed, on their property.

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Piskie
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:25 PM
4 moms liked this
It's illegal. Simple. The veteran monuments on public land should honour all the veterans, not just the christian ones.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IhartU
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Quoting Piskie:

It's illegal. Simple. The veteran monuments on public land should honour all the veterans, not just the christian ones.

I agree with you.

Logan_Bellasmom
by Falling Starr on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:27 PM
4 moms liked this

If the families of the 4 its honouring have a problem remove it but they aren't so i say leave. It was specific to those 4 not all veteran just the ones in that war from that town.

supermom2xlb
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm Atheist. But I don't see the big deal. I just think people are too sensitive.

JLo1486
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:30 PM
4 moms liked this
What a joke. Why the fuck is someone getting offended by a cross?? Maybe those people WERE Christians, they don't deserve to have their cross on their own memorial? Why is it offensive? It's a cross! Are we going to start banning people with cross tattoo's or people with crosses on their clothing from being on a public street?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ejbljb
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:30 PM

"This is just an attack, a terrible attack, its sorta like another form of terrorism, is what I think it is." 

^^I think that statement was a little overboard. I mean, they're trying to have something removed that is illegal.

I don't know how I feel about it...if those 4 veterns were Christians and it's been there so long, I personally would let it be. 

JLo1486
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:33 PM
7 moms liked this
These types of atheist groups are NO different than the religous groups they are trying to fight. They are no better than a christian "forcing their beliefs" down someones throat. I take that back, they are getting worse, they actually ARE forcing their "non beliefs" on people. With law suits. Our own laws. What a fucking joke.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mikiemom
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:43 PM

The memorial should honor all religions and lack there of.

TessB
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Quoting mikiemom:

The memorial should honor all religions and lack there of.

silverdawn99
by Jamie on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:48 PM

obviously it does honor ALL service members not just the christian ones. and i bet you think that arlington needs to remove all the crosses because after all it public property

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting Piskie:

I agree with you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)