• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dealing with electric company. Anyone else go through this.

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:33 PM
  • 16 Replies

We moved into a new place, state in  december. Well ofcourse we got our electric turn on pay the crazy deposit amount and every months bill on time. WE liveing in an apartment, on of the first thing we ask how mych does electricy usaly run and since the complex just changed managment they were unsure. No big deal we still accepted to move in just try to budget. Well first month bill was $30 yeah for winter but of course it was for only 2 weeks. lol. Well these past almost 3months we had $60 electic bill. WE got our budget for that and Since we in a smaller 2 bedroom apartment and on the bottom floor and not know how much elctricy cost for here it sound good and right by us. Well last night we got a bill email to us for $445 and some change. Well I was in shock and called today. They say the miss feberay and eastimated for deceber and Febuary. So we have been getting estimated rates for let say almost 5 months now from the last year. Well no one was living in this apartment last year so duh it going to be estimated for 0. So now they say we owe. Ofcourse I dont mind paying my bill ,but not almost $500 dollars in charges becuae the estimated for the past few months. 

Ugh sorry got into a vent there. anyway one delt with this before was is resolved, did you have to pay back charges? I going to to talk to my property manager tomorrow when she is in and see if they can help us get this straight and let us view the metters. 

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WesAndNicksMom
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:35 PM
Out company does that but they always over-estimate us so we get credited.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Logan_Bellasmom
by Falling Starr on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:37 PM

A lot of places will estimate doing that. More so in the winter months when they dont want to send techs out. You are going to have to pay the bill.

cjsix
by faith on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Call the state's Public Service Commision and file a formal complaint....they will look into it. A few years ago where we are people were getting things like this (us too for over $1200 they were saying they had estimated for 12 months! ) and this is what many of us did ...The Public Service Commision contacted the executive offices of the electric company and made them look into it and correct things. It's worth a shot!

numonestunar
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:40 PM
Just pay..
Last night on the news they did a story on a chick who called og&e and told the cst svc rep she was going to blow the place up because her bill was to high. She is now facing felony charges. Her bill was $14!!!!!!! Lmao!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
treversmommy
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:43 PM

See we never head to deal with that before. We never had estimates and Serously winter wasnt bad here hardly any snow so they should had a promblem coming out. Plus it common since WE just started with them in decemeber you can estimate someone bill when you never had service with the company before. That a big under estimate. So i dont understand how ethical they can charge someone the wrong amount not state anywhere it was estimated and then wanting them to pay. It like going to the store they price an item wrong on the self. you check out and it come up higher. They legal have to let you pay the lower rate. Even if it a mistake. 

Quoting Logan_Bellasmom:

A lot of places will estimate doing that. More so in the winter months when they dont want to send techs out. You are going to have to pay the bill.

silverdawn99
by Jamie on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:44 PM

holy crap!!! we are paying down our electric bill also. can you talk to someone in person and get it straightened out?

treversmommy
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Yeah I calling them back tomorrow. I going to talk to my leasing manger first to see if they can help. Plus hubby doesnt know yet so got to talk to him also. They said they can set up a payment plan but still isn't right legal;y in my eyes to estimate a amount more than half of the actually cost. 

Quoting silverdawn99:

holy crap!!! we are paying down our electric bill also. can you talk to someone in person and get it straightened out?

treversmommy
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:51 PM

That ridoulous I not going threaten to blow a place up but when you littelry do not have the extra money yeah it hard. WE have school loans coming up due soon, 2 kids, and just moved across country money is tight. 

Quoting numonestunar:

Just pay..
Last night on the news they did a story on a chick who called og&e and told the cst svc rep she was going to blow the place up because her bill was to high. She is now facing felony charges. Her bill was $14!!!!!!! Lmao!!

treversmommy
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Thank that the best advice so far. I definitely be giving them a call. 

Quoting cjsix:

Call the state's Public Service Commision and file a formal complaint....they will look into it. A few years ago where we are people were getting things like this (us too for over $1200 they were saying they had estimated for 12 months! ) and this is what many of us did ...The Public Service Commision contacted the executive offices of the electric company and made them look into it and correct things. It's worth a shot!

proudmommy92
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:58 PM
Yea our hydro (electric) is about 180 every 2 months (we get it every 2 months). Then one day i get a bill and it says 495$! I was shocked! I phoned and they said they did a payment plan with us in october- yea i remember thats why our bill was 180 instead of 90 every 2 months. (It was a deposite we did a payment plan on (being 400$) so i fought with them and they said no this is your bill- you have 23 days to pay it.

I got that bill in march btw. So i just got anothet bill saying we owe 189 now since we put money onto it every paycheque- (we couldnt afford nearly 500$ that day).

Never missed a bill either!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)