• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Grey area of autism?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:38 PM
  • 7 Replies
I know there is such a wide spectrum of autism dx but are there some things that totally rule out it? Like can a child with autism be fine in symbolic play(only difference is that he has pretty rigid rules for us to follow but he definitely has an
Imagination) if this rules any type of spectrum dx out can a child have spd diagnosis only? Btw he's almost 4
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Jnc91
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:45 PM

BUMP!

.ZombieGirl.
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Whoa your post is kinda confusing.

DACIA79
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:52 PM

No a child that doesn't fit into one specific category usually will get a PDD-NOS diagnosis. My son qualified due to delayed speech and sensory issues unless you spend 24 hours a day with him most people don't know about the autism.

Good Luck

Jnc91
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:04 PM
Quoting DACIA79:

No a child that doesn't fit into one specific category usually will get a PDD-NOS diagnosis. My son qualified due to delayed speech and sensory issues unless you spend 24 hours a day with him most people don't know about the autism.

Good Luck

Thanks. Ds has definite sensory issues but he is very intune to his body so most of the time he can tell me if he is getting worked up. At preschool they end with dancing and music and ds will sit on a chair off to the side because of all the kids. But he loves dancing solo. He's sensitive
to Loud noises and smells too. Plus some tactile things (like mesh carpets in pool areas and tags). He is very advance in vocab. He is 3 yrs 10 months and his conversations include words like "compost", "confidence", "damaged" lol. Then his thing is he takes EVERYTHING apart. Unfortunately most things remain dismantled. He can get overly frustrated which means watch out he will hit and kick hard. He has to twirl my hair to sleep(instead of 2+ hrs to fall asleep at least this lessens it to 45min). Problem is that gifted kids and asperger kids have so much on common. He has an evaluation next week for a general look at to make sure he is developing age appropriately which in my opinion he is. This was made since his anger issues were escalating but in the last 2-3 weeks he has really mellowed out. But it can't hurt to continue with it.
Jnc91
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:05 PM
Quoting .ZombieGirl.:

Whoa your post is kinda confusing.

I'm sorry I type as my brain thinks so things can get confusing for others. What is confusing to you?
Jnc91
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:05 PM
Anyone else?
kansasmom1978
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Yes. Yes and yes.  Autism is different for every child.  My son is moderate. He was non verbal and anti social. Which now he is only delayed in speech and very social.  He cannot transistion well, he has no common sense, he has no fear of anything or anyone. He has no caution level at all.  He does not understand personal boundaries and does not use the appropriate social cues. Such as 18 inch comfort zone, hugging strangers, walking up to women and commenting on their boobs. Etc.....  A child can have any number of the symptoms/problems. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)