Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Keep your FING dog on a leash or in fenced in! Apparently anyone who thinks a dog should be leashed is overreacting.

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Should dogs be on a leash in the city?

Options:

yes

no

they should be leashed in the country too!

other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 182

View Results

Dezzy was out "walking" the dog. (she walks three houses one way and one the other way from our house. she is 8) when a friggin husky comes up! Rosie tries to protect her (a 5 month old cocker spaniel)! THANK GOD I got to them before ether of them got hurt! Husky ran away from me. I hate morons who don't care for their animals!

this is how populated it is where I live. That large patch of green is the park.

I love being married.  It's so great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life.  ~Rita Rudner

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:10 PM
Replies (21-30):
gypsy_rose
by Ruby Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 7:13 AM
1 mom liked this

also  YOU (liyoness) don't know if they removed their dog because THEIR dog is aggressive toward other dogs and because of having your mom having her dogs off leash could instigate a fight.

Quoting LoveOfSign:

Maybe the reason people are always "making a big stink" about it is because some dogs are aggressive. How are they supposed to know if the dog plays nice with other dogs? How are they supposed to know the dog won't attack? In my old neighborhood there was a guy who walked his dog without a leash. I ASSumed it was a nice dog since he wasn't on a leash. I walked past the guy and the dog freaked out and bit my leg. Sure, it may be obvious to YOU that your mom would have her dog on a leash if it was dangerous, but others may be cautious for good reason. SOME dog owners are flat out stupid and irresponsible. I don't blame people for "making a big stink" over it.

Again, YOU know your dog, others don't. There are reasons for "Leash laws".

Quoting Liyoness:

My mom always has this battle when she's out walking on trails. People are ALWAYS making a big stink and picking their dogs up or ushering them into their vehicles when my mom's dog comes running up to sniff and play. It's pretty sad. If she felt her dog was going to hurt another one, she'd have it on a leash, obviously.

I've had that with my purebread American Couch Dog, too. He's deaf, half blind, obese, and nearly dead. He doesn't even notice other dogs or people on the trails. But the moment we encounter another person, they immediately get defensive and huffy, assuming he's going to attack them because he looks like a pit bull.

*Shrug* I think people need to stop flipping out over small stuff.

I love being married.  It's so great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life.  ~Rita Rudner

KyliesMom5
by Platinum Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 7:16 AM

While some people definantly are not responsible with their dogs I have known many that are, that do stay out with them and still end up having to go after them.  I agree with what you are saying but things can happen no matter how hard we try to be good dog owners and try to prevent things from happening.  

I knew a husky that kept escaping from the yard and the owners did everything they could think of to prevent the dog from escaping only to have the dog continue to get it out. It turned out the dog had figured out how to get out by using a tree that was close to the fence and the fence itself to shimmy herself up and over.

Quoting gypsy_rose:

if they are like that then you should be out with them at ALL times if they are outside. As dog owners it is OUR responsibility to ensure our dogs are in control.

Quoting KyliesMom5:

I have seen huskys escape even after doing that.  Some times you can try to prevent them from escaping only to have them find a new way out. Some dogs are just really good at it, if they are determined enough.

Quoting gypsy_rose:

if it is the one animal control thinks it is than it has escaped many times. You can prevent escape with a husky if you dig down 1 ft and have the fence 6 ft above ground as well. If you don't want to do that keep them on a leash or tie out at all times. 

Quoting KyliesMom5:

Maybe the dog excaped, Husky's are amazing excape artists. But I do agree. 

RedRozeMom
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 7:37 AM
1 mom liked this
I know...LOL...

I live in a rural area, everybody's dog roams free. I have two myself. Sure as hell not going leash them.

Quoting randomosityblog:

Yes but lmao at them being leashed in the country.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
carrieasia
by Silver Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 7:52 AM
1 mom liked this
All dogs should be leashed in public. Jusy because you know your dog wouldn't hurt anyone doesn't mean I know that. There are many irresponsible people in the world, unfortunately, who have a pet that may hurt someone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alwayskk
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 7:53 AM
3 moms liked this

I think people shouldn't let their cats run wild.

Pnukey
by Jennifer on Apr. 26, 2012 at 7:55 AM

I agree! Dogs need to be leashed any time they are off their own yard. Some of them need to be leashed in their yard because they are flight risks. I have serious issues with some of my neighbors that think their dogs can just run free. I've called Animal Control more than once and have had words with the dumbass irresponsible pet owners. He may love his dogs, but I do not, and my kids are allergic to their walking hairballs.

Paperfishies
by Platinum Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 7:57 AM
I would carry mace and a baseball bat...if the dog shows aggression mace him and give him a whack.

I too hate irresponsible pet owners...like people who think it is acceptable to have "outdoor" cats.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aislin
by MoJo on Apr. 26, 2012 at 7:57 AM

I have seen Huskies do that. Its crazy. One of my dogs is an escape artist. Even with us out with him he has managed to get out a few times. I made sure all the neighbors know him. Usually I just jump in the van and chase him down the street. When I open the van door he jumps right in. Its frustrating but as his owner its my responsibility to keep trying until I find something to keep him in.

Quoting KyliesMom5:

While some people definantly are not responsible with their dogs I have known many that are, that do stay out with them and still end up having to go after them.  I agree with what you are saying but things can happen no matter how hard we try to be good dog owners and try to prevent things from happening.  

I knew a husky that kept escaping from the yard and the owners did everything they could think of to prevent the dog from escaping only to have the dog continue to get it out. It turned out the dog had figured out how to get out by using a tree that was close to the fence and the fence itself to shimmy herself up and over.

Quoting gypsy_rose:

if they are like that then you should be out with them at ALL times if they are outside. As dog owners it is OUR responsibility to ensure our dogs are in control.

Quoting KyliesMom5:

I have seen huskys escape even after doing that.  Some times you can try to prevent them from escaping only to have them find a new way out. Some dogs are just really good at it, if they are determined enough.

Quoting gypsy_rose:

if it is the one animal control thinks it is than it has escaped many times. You can prevent escape with a husky if you dig down 1 ft and have the fence 6 ft above ground as well. If you don't want to do that keep them on a leash or tie out at all times. 

Quoting KyliesMom5:

Maybe the dog excaped, Husky's are amazing excape artists. But I do agree. 

toopicky429
by Platinum Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 7:58 AM
This happened to me, and luckily my neighbor called me. My Great Danes broke our fence, and were wondering in and out of it, lol. You couldn't even tell the fence was broken unless you pushed on it. They made their own personal gate, lol.

Quoting Aislin:

Huskies are notorious escape artists. Its possible the owner doesn't know it found an escape. Either way the owner needs to fix the problem.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
UnIdentiFiedOne
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 8:04 AM
I don't leash my dog when I take her into my unfenced yard. I stay with her and she doesn't leave the yard. We've had issues with some neighborhood dogs roaming free and they are quite often in our yard. I'm not limiting my dogs defenses by a leash in the yard.

The people across the street let their Chihuahua roam and got pissed at me because my dog chased it out of our yard. Lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)