• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Won't say bye!

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:15 PM
  • 20 Replies
So my 4 year old never says bye to anyone but me, she won't say bye to my grandparents, teachers or friends at school, her dad... Nobody. My grandparents keep telling me it rude and that I need to do something about it, they get mad when she won't say bye back to them. Im not sure what to do. Do you ladies have this problem or any solutions? Would you think this is rude?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
taKENheart
by Flovely on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:19 PM

She's 4 ;) just see if she'll say, See you later ;)

FebPenguins
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:22 PM
1 mom liked this

You can try to get her to say it, but personally I wouldn't force it. It will only make things worse. My MIL and I kinda had a disagreement about personal space. She felt that I should FORCE my child to hug/kiss her goodbye. My children were not comfortable with that. I want my child to understand she CAN tell an adult NO if it invades their personal space. My SIL disagrees with me too. I stood by my choice/conviction and am very grateful that my dh undertands why I feel this way. Sometimes they will hug/kiss, sometimes not. I did/do encourage them to give high fives instead, it made gma feel loved/included and respected my childrens personal space. I say stick by your daughter, you are her voice right now, try to encourage it (but don't play guilt trip~also tried by MIL), but don't FORCE it.

malissaL
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:24 PM
4 moms liked this

I can't believe what some people will turn into an issue.. teach her how to put 2 fingers up and say "peace out" and see what they have to say about that :D

smurfy88
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:26 PM
Thank you, I feel this way too. She doesn't give hugs and kisses to anyone but me and my boyfriend, so when its time to leave my grandparents they ask for a hug and kiss she refuses and refuses to say bye and they are constantly saying things like well since trinity can't say bye and hug us I guess we won't buy her anymore presents, I think thats mean and definitely not encouraging her to do it

Quoting FebPenguins:

You can try to get her to say it, but personally I wouldn't force it. It will only make things worse. My MIL and I kinda had a disagreement about personal space. She felt that I should FORCE my child to hug/kiss her goodbye. My children were not comfortable with that. I want my child to understand she CAN tell an adult NO if it invades their personal space. My SIL disagrees with me too. I stood by my choice/conviction and am very grateful that my dh undertands why I feel this way. Sometimes they will hug/kiss, sometimes not. I did/do encourage them to give high fives instead, it made gma feel loved/included and respected my childrens personal space. I say stick by your daughter, you are her voice right now, try to encourage it (but don't play guilt trip~also tried by MIL), but don't FORCE it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
smurfy88
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Lmao! I love this

Quoting malissaL:

I can't believe what some people will turn into an issue.. teach her how to put 2 fingers up and say "peace out" and see what they have to say about that :D

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DanaG70
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Eh, give it time, she may start doing it soon. Grandparents are strange sometimes.

malissaL
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:30 PM

i'm glad-geez, people make me crazy sometimes making mountains out of molehills..

"boo hooo she won't say bye"slap

Quoting smurfy88:

Lmao! I love this

Quoting malissaL:

Its my body and I'll do what I want to.

MeganGallagher
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:33 PM
She's four... That will change. It's not a big deal
KimmyShaw
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:33 PM

hmmm, does she plain out refuse to say good bye or is it more of the visits over lets move on? I know have to remind my DD (5) to address some people when she goes into her La La land

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Try different phrases with her like "see ya another time".  Some children just do not like to say bye.  Bye is a very final word.   I wouldnt force child to say anything though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)