Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my moms advice about home ownership...

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:34 PM
  • 23 Replies
My mom and dad have only owned one home. Dad was Army so they didn't buy a house until they moved here. This was my dads last duty station, and my parents loved it so much, they decided they would settle here. So they bought their first home.

They've lived there...um...15 years? My mom loves her house. And she despises it. It's an old house. Something is always going wrong. Plumbing, wiring, roof leaks, etc...

My mom turned to me the other day while dad was fixing something or another, and said she wanted to give me a piece of advice.

"When you and Richy(DH) retire, and you find the place you want to live the rest of your lives, do me a favor, buy a brand spankin new house. Save yourselves the trouble and headache, and don't buy an old house. Get a new one. Don't be on a first name basis with the plumber, the electrician and roofing contractor like we are."

I was like, um, sure, ok. That's kinda what we planned on doing anyways. Richy and i want to buy land, and have a house built out in the country somewhere in the south. Or back in the UK. We have 20 years or so to decide.

My mom isn't much of an advice giver. Just kinda tickled me that she'd give advice about something like that.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ayla91
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:46 PM

i think its good advice. i bought my house 2 years ago and it was built in the 60's and it still finds ways to piss me off every winter and every spring.

tginn20
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:46 PM

My parent had a house built....and less than 2 years later- sued the builder to buy it back. It was built like shit. The basement leaked...had GIANT cracks that poured water. There was no sub pump at all, there were no drain tiles when the foundation was put in. My mom actually pulled the carpet back bc she kept feeling something when she walked on the floor...yeah there crushed Mt. Dew cans and cigarette butts under the carpet along with clumps of dry wall mud. There were people in and out on a weekly basis trying to fix what was wrong with it. Well my parents were finally fed up when the builder told my parents that he though they were causing the problems to try and get money from him so he wasn't footing the bill for their BS anymore.

They sued him and won, he had to buy back the house and actually had to buy back a few others in the same neighborhood. So not all new houses are peaches and cream. IMO- houses aren't built like they used to be. I've seen WHOLE neighborhoods go up in less than 6 months. My friends brand new house was built (from empty lot to moving in) In 28 days....that's way too fast for things to be done right IMO.

SandraJo
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:57 PM
Wow! That's just...wow!

28 days for a house to be built, that's rather fast. Doesn't it take like 2 weeks just to do the foundation properly?

DH and i plan on researching our contractors very carefully when we want a house. I would wait 6 months for our house to be.built properly if needed. Or however long it takes.

I know there are pros and cons to both new and old houses. I just hope DH and i can research properly, and get a contractor who will do the job right when the time comes.

Quoting tginn20:

My parent had a house built....and less than 2 years later- sued the builder to buy it back. It was built like shit. The basement leaked...had GIANT cracks that poured water. There was no sub pump at all, there were no drain tiles when the foundation was put in. My mom actually pulled the carpet back bc she kept feeling something when she walked on the floor...yeah there crushed Mt. Dew cans and cigarette butts under the carpet along with clumps of dry wall mud. There were people in and out on a weekly basis trying to fix what was wrong with it. Well my parents were finally fed up when the builder told my parents that he though they were causing the problems to try and get money from him so he wasn't footing the bill for their BS anymore.

They sued him and won, he had to buy back the house and actually had to buy back a few others in the same neighborhood. So not all new houses are peaches and cream. IMO- houses aren't built like they used to be. I've seen WHOLE neighborhoods go up in less than 6 months. My friends brand new house was built (from empty lot to moving in) In 28 days....that's way too fast for things to be done right IMO.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SandraJo
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:03 PM
Yeah, I want to get my own house problems, not inherit someone else's problems. Wait, did that make sense?

Quoting ayla91:

i think its good advice. i bought my house 2 years ago and it was built in the 60's and it still finds ways to piss me off every winter and every spring.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JADIEBUG
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Buying new does not guarantee you perfection. My mom had a brand new huge addition added to her house and they have general home repairs like everyone else. Roofs, water tanks and etc. do not last forever.

Zacksmama82411
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:08 PM
soooo true! our house is frm the 1800s and theres ALWAYS something to be fixed, his friends are plumbers, carpenters and electricians, it took 3 weeks for his plumber friend to hook up our gas stove, granted he did that and changed our faucets for $20 bux, but it takes for ever for them to do stuff
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aislinn
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:10 PM

If you are at retirement age? That is damn good advice, IMO. Fixer Uppers are for youngins'...lol

SandraJo
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:10 PM
No, it doesn't. But at least I won't be getting something that's already worn out.

Quoting JADIEBUG:

Buying new does not guarantee you perfection. My mom had a brand new huge addition added to her house and they have general home repairs like everyone else. Roofs, water tanks and etc. do not last forever.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
huntersmama711
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:11 PM
We plan on buying land and building ourselves. Df builds custom log homes for a living and knows electricians and plumbers for those areas of the job
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ayla91
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:12 PM

i understand what you mean. our next home will hopefully be brand new but since we are only in our early 20's, it might take a while lol

Quoting SandraJo:

Yeah, I want to get my own house problems, not inherit someone else's problems. Wait, did that make sense?

Quoting ayla91:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)