Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how far in advance do you start planning?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:36 PM
  • 11 Replies

for a Disney vacation? We plan on going in dec 2014 and I am starting my planning now.

what are some must haves for you when planning, meal ticket, park hoppers?

what did you do before that you could go without?

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LuLuRex
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:06 PM

I started planning like 8 months in advance!

lifehappy
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:19 PM
2 moms liked this

I think the earlier the better! I know you can start making reservations 6 months in advance, and since character meals and shows are filled so fast, the earlier the better!

I think December is the BEST month to go (the first or second week, NOT over Christmas vacation). The weather is usually wonderful, and the crowds are minimal. And the Very Merry Christmas Party is my absolute favorite parade/party ever! It is really magical.

A must have for us is to stay at one of the resorts on the mono-rail. We like the Polynesian, then the Grand Floridian, the best.

And we never buy a meal plan (I can't stomach more than one day of park foods, and all the restaurant serve similar fare); instead, we opt for the "club level" at the resort. It offers access to food and drinks several times a day, most of them being freshly prepared (fresh fruits & veggies, too). It's more expensive than the typical resort room, but in the end, it saves us money (we take a small cooler to the parks).

I like the park hopper passes, because you can change your plans accordingly; great for unexpected changes in the weather. And use the Fast Pass! Especially for attractions that have long wait times.

Speaking of weather, if you get a nice, hot day, DON'T miss out on Blizzard Beach. It's awesome! I love Hollywood Studios & Animal Kingdom, too.

I love WDW! Can you tell?

kansasmom1978
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Fuck if I know.  Money wise it would a couple years.

prdmomnarmywife
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:24 PM
Bump I would like too know too !! I want to take ds in a couple years me and dh have never been there
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
prdmomnarmywife
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:24 PM
How much do you spend on average ?

Quoting lifehappy:

I think the earlier the better! I know you can start making reservations 6 months in advance, and since character meals and shows are filled so fast, the earlier the better!

I think December is the BEST month to go (the first or second week, NOT over Christmas vacation). The weather is usually wonderful, and the crowds are minimal. And the Very Merry Christmas Party is my absolute favorite parade/party ever! It is really magical.

A must have for us is to stay at one of the resorts on the mono-rail. We like the Polynesian, then the Grand Floridian, the best.

And we never buy a meal plan (I can't stomach more than one day of park foods, and all the restaurant serve similar fare); instead, we opt for the "club level" at the resort. It offers access to food and drinks several times a day, most of them being freshly prepared (fresh fruits & veggies, too). It's more expensive than the typical resort room, but in the end, it saves us money (we take a small cooler to the parks).

I like the park hopper passes, because you can change your plans accordingly; great for unexpected changes in the weather. And use the Fast Pass! Especially for attractions that have long wait times.

Speaking of weather, if you get a nice, hot day, DON'T miss out on Blizzard Beach. It's awesome! I love Hollywood Studios & Animal Kingdom, too.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
happymommy1105
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:25 PM
A few years for.budgeting.

Seven or so months for the actual trip events.

But I tend to skip all that and go with the cruise option.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alexsmomma06
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:27 PM

My family went for the first time when I was 16. We planned it about 8 months ahead of time. We did park hopper tickets which was really nice. We took a back pack with us with sandwhiches and chips, so we didn't have to spend the money to eat inside the park-a hamburger and fries are like $12. 

lifehappy
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Yikes, this is the bad part: QUITE a bit; last year, maybe $5,000 (two adults, two 9 year olds). But we really do a lot while we are there (Cirque De Soleil, character breakfasts, Bibbity Bobbity Boutique--awesome!!!, souvenirs, etc.). I also went out with an old friend, who lives near Orlando, to Pleasure Island, so I'm sure that added quite a bit to our expenses, lol.

If you stick to a resort package, watch the extras, and buy your Disney apparel/souvenirs from nearby outlets, you can save a lot!

Quoting prdmomnarmywife:

How much do you spend on average ?

Quoting lifehappy:

Rain2Rinse
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:29 PM
The last time we decided to go, it was the day before.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vicki77433
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:37 PM

I would start planning a year in advance.  For real.  We don't get the park-hopper  because you really need all day to see one park.  We did get the meal plan because it's so worth it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)