Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Labor Dept Ban On Farm Chores

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:41 PM
  • 86 Replies
This is quite possibly one of the stupidest bans that they are trying to put forth.

http://dailycaller.com/2012/04/25/rural-kids-parents-angry-about-labor-dept-rule-banning-farm-chores/

A proposal from the Obama administration to prevent children from doing farm chores has drawn plenty of criticism from rural-district members of Congress. But now it’s attracting barbs from farm kids themselves.

The Department of Labor is poised to put the finishing touches on a rule that would apply child-labor laws to children working on family farms, prohibiting them from performing a list of jobs on their own families’ land.

Under the rules, children under 18 could no longer work “in the storing, marketing and transporting of farm product raw materials.”

“Prohibited places of employment,” a Department press release read, “would include country grain elevators, grain bins, silos, feed lots, stockyards, livestock exchanges and livestock auctions.”

The new regulations, first proposed August 31 by Labor Secretary Hilda Solis, would also revoke the government’s approval of safety training and certification taught by independent groups like 4-H and FFA, replacing them instead with a 90-hour federal government training course.

Rossie Blinson, a 21-year-old college student from Buis Creek, N.C., told The Daily Caller that the federal government’s plan will do far more harm than good.

“The main concern I have is that it would prevent kids from doing 4-H and FFA projects if they’re not at their parents’ house,” said Blinson.

“I started showing sheep when I was four years old. I started with cattle around 8. It’s been very important. I learned a lot of responsibility being a farm kid.”

In Kansas, Cherokee County Farm Bureau president Jeff Clark was out in the field — literally on a tractor — when TheDC reached him. He said if Solis’s regulations are implemented, farming families’ labor losses from their children will only be part of the problem.

“What would be more of a blow,” he said, “is not teaching our kids the values of working on a farm.”

The Environmental Protection Agency reports that the average age of the American farmer is now over 50.

“Losing that work-ethic — it’s so hard to pick this up later in life,” Clark said. “There’s other ways to learn how to farm, but it’s so hard. You can learn so much more working on the farm when you’re 12, 13, 14 years old.”

John Weber, 19, understands this. The Minneapolis native grew up in suburbia and learned the livestock business working summers on his relatives’ farm.

He’s now a college Agriculture major.

“I started working on my grandparent’s and uncle’s farms for a couple of weeks in the summer when I was 12,” Weber told TheDC. “I started spending full summers there when I was 13.”

“The work ethic is a huge part of it. It gave me a lot of direction and opportunity in my life. If they do this it will prevent a lot of interest in agriculture. It’s harder to get a 16 year-old interested in farming than a 12 year old.”

Weber is also a small businessman. In high school, he said, he took out a loan and bought a few steers to raise for income. “Under these regulations,” he explained, “I wouldn’t be allowed to do that.”
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
phantomphan
by PrincessBcake on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:43 PM
3 moms liked this
OK. I support obama, but that's really fucking stupid.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
caito
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:45 PM

I understand that people want to keep children safe and stuff. But for a lot of people they absolutely need all the help they can get in order to run the farm efficiently :/

AMR320
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:45 PM
3 moms liked this
Government is getting ridiculous! Before long there will be a ban on kids cleaning up their toys.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LCWAmommy
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:47 PM
2 moms liked this
That's crazy kids have been working the family farm forever! It's something that gets passed down through generations and the kids need to learn how to run it.
How is a kid cleaning out stalls or feeding live stock on their family farm any different from my kids cleaning up dog poop or feeding our pets or doing dishes or helping with yard Work? It's what you do as part of the family
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ally_346_2010
1 mom liked this
That's the dumbest thing ever.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momma-flynn
1 mom liked this

What's next? My kid can't unload the dishwasher or put away her laundry? This is absolutely ridiculous.  

LeAnaR
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:48 PM
Agreed!!!

Quoting Ally_346_2010:

That's the dumbest thing ever.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KaroGreenly
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:49 PM
2 moms liked this
It will hurt small, family owned farms. I would bet that those proposing these laws have never set foot on a farm. Also, what about kids that work at the family dry cleaning business or butcher shop or the thousands of other small businesses where the kids help out. Why make the farmers suffer?

What will happens if this passes is that farmers (if they can afford to) will hire more workers. Then, they'll charge more for their crop since their overhead is now higher. Grocery prices go up. Then, everyone starts complaining because groceries are too expensive. This is just a bad idea all the way around.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
malissaL
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:49 PM
1 mom liked this

and we continue to be dictated, one stupid ass law at a time.

CABZS
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:50 PM
4 moms liked this

GOVERNMENT GET THE HELL OUT OF MY LIFE, OUR LIVES!!!

This is getting so far out of control it is ridiculous!

It is a family business, how do you think so many family farms have stayed in the family for generations?

My friends DD shows pigs & goats & cares for her own ducks & bunnies.  They are hers, she has to care for them if she wants them.  She would be devastated if she had to get rid of them.

I am so sick and tired of the government interfering in our lives & finding yet another law to CONTROL us with & sadly so many just roll over & take it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)