Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

struggling to get baby to take a bottle/sippy

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:47 PM
  • 10 Replies

I need some advice. I was giving baby a couple bottles a week the first part of her life and was pumping and freezing extra milk. then I found out I had extra lipase in my milk wich makes it brake down faster so it smells sour and tastes soapy or sour etc. so I had to throw it all out and she wont take formula. {this is my first baby that wont do bottle or formula} so we went a few months with no bottle and now she wont take one at all. She will be on june 9th and I still get neauseated with every let down breastfeeding session. I'm just DONE! I have a sippy i've been giving her a ton to try to get her to drink from it and she is a little bit. Any tips on how to get your little one to take a bottle?? this is rough

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
happymommy1105
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:48 PM
Stop offering her the breast.

Eventually she will get thirsty enough to take the cup.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CABZS
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Honestly if she is one I would just offer a sippy like you have been & keep away from the bottle.

Also, at this age normally formula is starting to be phased out.

So honestly I would just keep w/a sippy cup, try different types.  Your LO will get the hang of it soon.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Yes I would stick with a sippy cup rather than a bottle at this point.  That stinks that you have something extra to make the milk go bad faster since typically breastmilk can last a day or so in fridge and 6 hrs room temp after pumping.

strawberryLVR
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Quoting frndlyfn:

Yes I would stick with a sippy cup rather than a bottle at this point.  That stinks that you have something extra to make the milk go bad faster since typically breastmilk can last a day or so in fridge and 6 hrs room temp after pumping.

yes it SUCKS, It goes bad while FROZEN!  Lipase is an enzyme that breaks/brakes {not sure what word to use lol} down the milk, too much and it brakes down faster. You have to scald it after pumping to kill of a lot of the lipase then freeze it.

jjchick75
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:22 PM

I would just forget about the bottle and give her a sippy. My kids have never taken bottles. My twins were espcially anti-bottle lol. I always just gave them a sippy!

strawberryLVR
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:30 PM

I don't really care WHAT she takes as long as it is SOMETHING! ANYTHING! lol

i_lovedyoufirst
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:34 PM
Does she know how to suck on a straw?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MixedCooke
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 2:24 AM

well just start using a soft-tipped sippy with a stopper.  I like the Gerber ones.  I gradually switched 1 bottle per week with a sippy until she was fully transitioned.  As far as your breastmilk goes, I would keep pumping/breastfeeding until at least a year and then gradually add one ounce of whole milk mixed with breastmilk per week until she is fully transitioned.  As far as formula, I would do the same concept as far as getting her to take formula over breastmilk but since you have almost reached the ideal mark of them getting breastmilk, I would just stick it out.

LCWAmommy
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 2:36 AM
My son refused a sippy or bottle too he was almost one before I got him to take one and it was a straw cup. To teach him to drink from the straw I got some juice boxes and when he put the straw in his mouth I squeezed it a bit after he learne to suck the straw I put milk it the straw sippy and he did fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
noel1979
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 2:39 AM

My daughter was like that and i was freaking out. The dr told me, when she gets hungry enough she would talk the bottle-cup. and sure enough she did, we went a LONG time of her just crying etc but she did take it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)